Site Update plus an Audio Challenge

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:43 am

The Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio site has just been updated.

New surveys include:
-C-FUN 1963 complete.
-S O U N D A T H O N #7 from December 1963.

There is also some new audio, and with that I present to you a bit of a challenge. Larry Morton of North Delta has provided two audio montages, one for the newly added Soundathon 7, and one for Soundathon 5, the survey of which was previously added to the site a few months back.
These montages were compiled from numerous clips which Larry recorded on reel-to-reel in that bygone era of the early sixties. Larry explains that in those days he was trying to record the songs. The DJs voices were then considered a nuisance. If only we knew! Now, of course, we know it?s the DJs that are the real treasure! Larry was able, nevertheless, to compile these clips, truncating the songs, leaving mostly the DJ intros. Thanks to Larry for these. More of Larry's audio to come in the future.

I have managed to identify some of the DJs, Red for one, who is easily recognizable, plus a few others. THE CHALLENGE FOR YOU IS: CAN ANY OF YOU IDENTIFY THE OTHERS? I have an idea who they are but I?d like to hear your input. The montages are listed below along with the time frames for each DJ:
You can link directly to the audio from here.

Soundathon #5 Montage - December 1962
(Total Time 8 min 20 sec)

1. AL JORDAN (00:00 - 02:10) Songs #292 - #259
2. ???????? (02:11 - 03:13) Songs #250 - #188
3. TOM PEACOCK (03:14 - 06:04) Songs #166 - #89
4. ????????? (06:05 - 08:20) Songs #61 - #2

Soundathon #7 Montage - December 1963
(Total Time 9 min 44 sec)

1. RED ROBINSON (00:00 - 04:56) Songs #297 - #231
2. ???????? (04:57 - 09:16) Songs #219 - #91
3. TOM PEACOCK (09:17 - 09:44) Songs #44 - #29

And of course don't forget to view the newly posted surveys.

Good Luck

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:06 pm

#2 Ronn Grimster? great voice

#4 Brian Forst/could be jerry lee landa

#2 in second clip - I have no idea - seems/sounds like a weekend shifter
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby felix » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:26 pm

What treat! From one of those old guys who was a Soundathon addict back then.
Awesome stuff. Kudos to Jim for all his hard work. The sight is great. Thanks
PN
felix

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:43 pm

I thought I'd wait for the long weekend to pass before adding this reply

I've had a bit of an advantage here as I have additional clips that I'm still sorting through. Some of them I've listened to over and over again trying to match their voices with the ones on the montages I've posted.

For Montage #5 I believe Ronn Grimster may indeed be correct for voice #2. I'm not that familiar with his voice but I believe he followed Al Jordan in the daily schedule. As for voice #4 my guess is Jerry Landa, not Forst. I remember hearing Landa back in the 60s and the voice here is of the same timbre. Can't be positive though.

In Montage #7 the unidentifed voice is, I believe, with about a 70 per cent certainty, that it's Don Richards. I have some other clips and in one of them Richards identifies himself. I believe the voice is the same, but differing treble and bass levels from clip to clip make it more difficult. I play the clips repeatedly and listen to the inflections in their voices. I know Richards was a late night man with C-FUN in 1965 and 66. Don't know if he went back as far as 63, although he might have been just a weekender at that time.

On my next library visit I'll check the radio schedules in newspaper microfilm archives for that time period to see if I can verify my guesses.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:49 pm

VancouverTopFortyRadio wrote: As for voice #4 my guess is Jerry Landa, not Forst. I remember hearing Landa back in the 60s and the voice here is of the same timbre. Can't be positive though.

Jim, my guess would be Jerry as well.

I'm sure he'd know, but I doubt he monitors this board at all. I don't have his e-mail address.

Thanks for posting this. It's sure nice to hear the Pappy on the air.

As for newspapers, I don't know if they still carried radio listings by late '62. Listings were down to once a week in 1961; everyone was watching TV.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Newspapers did carry radio listings at least through part of 1966, although not in grid form like in the fifties--just a list-- and not always reliable or up to date. It's about all I'll have to go on, however.

Jim
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:55 pm

could we have a poll on the future of

CORNELIA?????
butch
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)