CHQR's Mel Hoyme passes at 88

Radio news from Alberta

CHQR's Mel Hoyme passes at 88

Postby radiofan » Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:10 am

Mel Hoyme, the guy that put Calgary's CHQR on the air in 1964 has passed away at the age of 88.

After retiring in the early 2000's, Mel continued working for the station setting up remotes and working Stampeder football broadcasts until he fully retired in 2020.

Condolences to Mel's wife Donna and his family.

2021 story about Mel from SAIT's "Link" Magazine: https://www.sait.ca/link/stories/2021/1 ... -mel-hoyme
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CHQR's Mel Hoyme passes at 88

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:24 pm

Worked with the great Mel Hoyme for many years . Not only was he a super guy- he was the ultimate professional . Everything had to work right and he made sure of that. I think one of his greatest accomplishments was the fantastic studios built in Palliser Square - right next to the Calgary Tower -under his direction . What a pleasure it was to work in those studios - first class all the way. He was one of the good ones! My sincere sympathies to his family !
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: CHQR's Mel Hoyme passes at 88

Postby oldformerdj » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:05 pm

Mel was such a nice man. I only worked with him for 5 years, but what a treat it was. The QR control room Palliser, was so user friendly. Mel's "railroad track" chair was amazing. I remember one of the 6 cart machines went down on a Sunday morning. I made note on the "trouble sheet." I had not met Mel yet. This was when I first started at QR. He came to the station the following Saturday and told me if something goes down, call him. Doesn't matter what day or time. He took pride in making sure everything was perfect.
oldformerdj

Return to Alberta