Bell Media selling 45 radio stations amid layoffs

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: Bell Media selling 45 radio stations amid layoffs

Postby tuned » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:51 pm

Thanks for that Jon. Does Mr. Thomson through Woodbridge or another private entity of his have substantial holdings of BCE stock? So editorial control of Bell Media broadcast properties rests with whom?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:58 pm

tuned wrote:Thanks for that Jon. Does Mr. Thomson through Woodbridge or another private entity of his have substantial holdings of BCE stock? So editorial control of Bell Media broadcast properties rests with whom?

He dumped it 14 years ago.

And your original point was about the editorial decisions of the G&M, not BellMedia.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:00 pm

Actually Aaron I am very interested in the individuals who have editorial control over Bell Media. What's the basis for your claim that Mr. Thomson doesn't own any BCE shares in 2024?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:05 pm

tuned wrote:Actually Aaron I am very interested in the individuals who have editorial control over Bell Media. What's the basis for your claim that Mr. Thomson doesn't own any BCE shares in 2024?

I understand your interest, but your initial point implied that the G&M minimized coverage of today's news because of influence from Bell Media.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:08 pm

Also, it is now front page. Ever consider that they wanted it to be a more fleshed-out story before highlighting it?
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:10 pm

I upped my buy of BCE a couple of weeks ago.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:24 pm

Just sayin' wrote:I upped my buy of BCE a couple of weeks ago.

And why wouldn't a BCE investor *not* be happy about the company shedding unprofitable products and reducing expenses at marginally profitable ones?
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 pm

You didn't answer my question Aaron. Who exactly exercises editorial control of the broadcast properties owned by BCE? Perhaps you don't know but the reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to understand why the corporate media in Canada including the entities controlled by Mr. Thomsom all have the same editorial point of view.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:52 pm

tuned wrote:You didn't answer my question Aaron. Who exactly exercises editorial control of the broadcast properties owned by BCE? Perhaps you don't know but the reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to understand why the corporate media in Canada including the entities controlled by Mr. Thomsom all have the same editorial point of view.

Instead of placing the onus of collaborating your wild claims onto others and asking them to prove a negative, how about you answer your own questions rather than dancing around whatever point you're trying to make.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:32 am

Just sayin' wrote:I upped my buy of BCE a couple of weeks ago.

Hope you plan to hang on to it for more than a year, as TD is predicting that the highest price of a BCE share for the next year is $51, which it just hit a few hours ago, on its downward plunge -- it is $50.44 as I write this.
jon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News