Help me find a creepy radio PSA I heard in BC!

Radio News from British Columbia

Help me find a creepy radio PSA I heard in BC!

Postby dreed » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:21 pm

I have posted my search for this commercial several times on Reddit over the years and it is still unsolved. Someone suggested that I post here for help. There was a radio commercial that haunted me as a child that I heard while driving to my great-grandma's house on Christmas Day. I only ever heard it once, and I've never heard it again or seen any information on it.

I can't remember the exact year, but I would say it was anywhere from 2010-2013. I remember I heard it one of the last times we were going to my great-grandma's for Christmas (she moved out of that house around 2013/2014). I'm 95% positive this aired on 93.7 JRFM, a country music station. The only other stations I could've heard it on were 94.5 The Beat (now called Virgin Radio) or 95.3 Virgin Radio (now called Z), as those stations were the only ones my parents would play in the car besides JRFM. JRFM was on the most, so I'm assuming I heard this commercial on there. If it also helps, we were driving in the Surrey area when I heard the commercial.

Now, the commercial: All the commercials beforehand were upbeat with jingles or holiday slogans, advertising products or car dealerships. Suddenly, it cut to a commercial with no background music, just someone talking, who I remember as a male voice. He described a young girl who was either deaf or blind (I can't remember, but it was one of those). He went on to tell a tale about how this girl was riding her schoolbus one day, only to have it catch on fire. She, in some way, saved many of her classmates lives from the fire. I can't remember HOW she saved their lives, but the commercial ended with the man saying something like "She saved all her classmates that day". Overall, the commercial gave off the vibes of a more haunting "Heritage Minutes" style of PSA. I remember it scared the shit out of me, randomly hearing about a schoolbus fire on Christmas Day on the country music station. It left a bad feeling on me for the rest of Christmas, and haunted me for a while after. I don't know why I found it so creepy: maybe the fact that it was about a schoolbus fire (I had an awful fear of house fires when I was younger), or the stern voice of the man narrating mixed with no music or sound effects whatsoever.
I heard this commercial once and never again. Nobody I know remembers hearing it, not even my family who was in the car with me that day. It wasn't the news. It's not a "Heritage Minute" PSA to my knowledge, despite the similar setups. I cannot find anything about a deaf or blind girl saving classmates in a schoolbus fire from pre-2010s in Canada. I know this wasn't just a dream, because it creeped me out so much that Christmas. If anyone knows where I could find this radio commercial, or even the story it was based on, that would be much appreciated. Direction to a possible archive would also be great. I have already tried to scour for archives of JRFM or Canadian Christmas radio ad broadcasts.
dreed

Re: Help me find a creepy radio PSA I heard in BC!

Postby BossRadio » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 pm

It Feels Like Xmas immediately came to mind. Many times during the holiday season I found myself running Gipp Forester and "It Feels like Xmas" . It was consensus among most of the on air types I worked with that some of his short bartered vignettes could be rather sappy...even cringe worthy. There were many to choose from. The only sample I could find starts on the demo reel at 53 seconds in. The voice is unforgettable...the material is mostly feelgood material.But sometimes it was over the top tears. Maybe..just maybe this is the guy you heard. He was all over smaller market radio in BC for years during the leadup to Xmas. Cheers.

https://www.thegiftofchristmas.com/?fbc ... qBciskDRdw
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby dreed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 pm

BossRadio wrote:https://www.thegiftofchristmas.com/?fbclid=IwAR3bOWEym3_9FmIhA7qFmOCVlAFxXpP_ccVdo6ZcWTZGslXnkqBciskDRdw

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have to try to find more Gipp Forester audio/demos to see if I could find any of the heart-wrenching stories. Was there constant background music during these segments? I don't remembered there being background music. If there was, whoever's voice it was overshadowed it.

Voice-wise... I remember the voice being creepier. This probably isn't the guy I'm thinking of, but it's absolutely a closer step than other suggestions I've gotten. As I said, I'd have to find more clips. Maybe there's a more serious-toned, "scary" sounding Gipp segment out there.

The search continues!
dreed

Postby dreed » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:49 pm

I did end up going through Gipp's songs on Spotify and YouTube. None that I listened to matched up.
dreed

Return to British Columbia