Broadcast History - September 11

Broadcast History - September 11

Postby jon » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:41 pm

In 1929, the long-delayed report of the Aird Commission was finally delivered. It praised CNR Radio, but advocated a new national network with the CNR system as its foundation. Prime Minister Mackenzie King overruled the objections of private broadcasters, accepting the report, and began moving forward, only to be halted in his tracks by the beginning of the Great Depression six weeks later, which not only cut spending, but also led to his defeat in the 1930 election.

In 1996, Winnipeg's legendary Top 40 frequency of 630 KHz went silent forever, and the CKRC call letters disappeared from the airwaves, as the last step in an AM to FM flip for CKRC-AM into CFWW-FM with 100,000 watts on 99.9 MHz. Less than two months earlier, Standard Radio acquired 25% OF CKRC/CFWW, picking up the remaining 75% in 1998. On February 1, 2002, CHUM took over CFWW, relaunching it as Bob-FM.


In 2001 at 7:50 a.m., it was Ed Mason's voice describing what sounded like a plot of a newly released movie, as I turned on the radio in the kitchen. Not many seconds passed as I listened to Cool 8-80 (CHQT Edmonton) before I realized it was real. And I stayed glued to CNN for the rest of the day. A few months later, I would learn of the U.S. bombing of Kabul from Ed, as he interrupted his Sunday morning Oldies program with a News bulletin, and continuing updates on a radio station with no Newscasts scheduled on the weekend. Thanks, Ed, for nearly 40 years of service to Edmonton.

User avatar
Advanced Member
Posts: 9219
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest