CKNW cuts Bruce Allen's Reality Check

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW cuts Bruce Allen's Reality Check

Postby radiofan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:19 pm

After 17 1/2 years, Bruce Allen's Reality Check on CKNW is history. Allen's final broadcast is today and in it he says it wasn't his choice to end the daily feature.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW cuts Bruce Allen's Reality Check

Postby talker2002@gmail.com » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:50 pm

What could possibly be gained by cancelling Bruce Allen? His sometimes eye-opening or biting commentary was a needed poke in your head on many issues. His knowledge was far greater than that of a talent manager. This is the sort of thing that happens when ownership and upper management are so far away. They have no idea about what happens in a given market and what is Germain in that market. I, for one, will miss him. Much future success, Bruce.
talker2002@gmail.com
Advanced Member

Postby Broadcast Babe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Allen was nothing more then a bully. He was always calling down the less fortunate as bums and scumbags etc. NW was right in kicking his ass out the door. If you promote Pink Shirt Day as in anti-bullying, you can't have one of your own employees bullying those who can't fight back. Allen used his faux celebrity as a music promoter to get on a radio station, but in the end, learned the simplest of all broadcast lessons---you're not as valuable as you think you are.
Broadcast Babe

Postby don'tpanic » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm

Bruce, Michael Campbell, Phil Till and Jon McComb all took CKNW quite far to the right for a very long stretch. It could be that NW is subtly repositioning after everything that has happened over the past five years with the alt-right, Trump, etc. has made the politics those folks (especially Bruce and Michael) less savory.
don'tpanic

Postby Broadcast Babe » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:19 pm

The problem with angry, old white guys on the radio is they get tiresome quickly, attract only listeners of a similar ilk, and simply refuse to change. Advertisers and good program managers are all to aware of this. They just reach a due-date. Further, big media companies do not need or want rogues---they become a liability on a number of levels. It sounds like Allen became all of the above.
Broadcast Babe

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 pm

I think Mr. Allan started commentary doing the "Sound Off" stichk late Sunday evenings in 1991 at CFOX on Richards? I heard he got "released" because after all that time he still didn't know how to properly pronounce "the NOOZE". (Made me cringe every time).
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby Broadcast Babe » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Hahahaha...I cringed at that too. You'd think someone would have straightened him out. He was not the most eloquent and hundreds of pronunciation and grammatical or mistakes which begs the question his level of education or if he simply had a speech pathology issue. Either/or, he could have benefited from some professional help.
Broadcast Babe

Return to British Columbia