TSN 1040 RIP

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: TSN 1040 RIP

Postby tuned » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Bell is cleaning up their balance sheet for the upcoming sale to AT&T or Comcast.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm

It's people like Don Taylor I feel sorry for. Already given the gut punch by Rogers when then axed Sportsnet Connected now Bell Media takes their turn. To be replaced by HAHA1040??? What sort of target group are they after here?? :violent1:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Shawndx » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 am

Dan S sent me this

If there was any doubt that FUNNY 1290 is coming to Winnipeg Bell has now launched a website with nothing on it yet:
https://www.iheartradio.ca/funny/funny-1290

Same applies to CKST 1040:
https://www.iheartradio.ca/funny/funny-1040
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Imagine being told in the HR call, that employees need to change their social media handles to exclude TSN, and ensure they don’t criticize BELL publicly, otherwise severance packages may be reviewed.

The entire archive of material from the past 20 years was wiped out.

The control room was taken over remotely at 9am, as the Morning show was getting ready for a segment.

The whole thing is so utterly callous and heartless, especially in the times we’re in.

Media is not media without people. The CRTC paved the way for all of this when they allowed big telecoms to hoard licenses and squat on them, while routinely gutting the very thing that connects us...PEOPLE.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:45 pm

Still operating in Toronto, but I guess that market can support 2 sport stations easier. I am not so sure the new format will fly for long. Where else can AM stations go. Foreign language formats? Chinese and Punjabi are saturated. Are there enough hispanics in the area to support a spanish one?
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 pm

GrumpyOldMan wrote:Imagine being told in the HR call, that employees need to change their social media handles to exclude TSN, and ensure they don’t criticize BELL publicly, otherwise severance packages may be reviewed.

The entire archive of material from the past 20 years was wiped out.

The control room was taken over remotely at 9am, as the Morning show was getting ready for a segment.

The whole thing is so utterly callous and heartless, especially in the times we’re in.

Media is not media without people. The CRTC paved the way for all of this when they allowed big telecoms to hoard licenses and squat on them, while routinely gutting the very thing that connects us...PEOPLE.

GOM, you are 100 percent correct, "utterly callous and heartless."

I could not imagine working for a bully employer like Bell Media !

If what you are saying is true, then, Bell Media must be held accountable for the poor, abusive treatment of its on air staff at the former TSN Vancouver sports station.

Several very knowledgeable sports journalists got laid off at TSN Vancouver, such as James Paterson, one of the most knowledgeable junior hockey reporters in the Province of B.C. and Rob Fai, a long time play by play host and baseball reporter for the Vancouver Canadians club.

What is particularly egregious and or vindictive is the alleged wiping out of its on air sports show recordings in Vancouver for the previous 20 years !

If true, then that shows callous disregard for the reporters and commentators who provided that material, the Vancouver sports fans and for the professional clubs that they reported on.

How hypocritical that Bell Media hosts a fundraiser, every year, for disabled and or mentally challenged people, then turns around and committs human rights abuses on its staff.

Meanwhile, just before they pushed people off of the cliff, as Mr. Byth reported, Bell helped themselves to a large serving of Liberal government corporate handouts, not to keep any jobs and or prevent any layoffs, but to fatten their own corporate shareholders and themselves !

A shameful display of corporate arrogance if we ever saw one !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:55 pm

beddows wrote:Still operating in Toronto, but I guess that market can support 2 sport stations easier. I am not so sure the new format will fly for long. Where else can AM stations go. Foreign language formats? Chinese and Punjabi are saturated. Are there enough hispanics in the area to support a spanish one?

Well, it looks like the "newcomer" (Rogers Sportsnet Vancouver) put the other (TSN Vancouver) out of business, but many people wondered from the beginning how two sports stations could survive in a "middle market" like Vancouver. Middle market, I say, because it has the same volume of licence holders and maxxed out fm band, without the actual revenue normally obtained in a large urban metropolis like Toronto or New York City, isn't it true !

But then, one gentleman on this same site wondered how TSN Vancouver could be pulled from the air, when they had spots running day and night until last week ?

The reason is clear. Maybe this whole Covid 19 pandemic was merely a ruse or bullshite charade for Bell (and other corporations), an excuse for laying off staff, while raising their prices on consumer grade cell phones plans, tv streaming, and internet streaming, which, in reality, is what really finances their losing (television) operations, isn't it so, Lisa Laflamme ! LOL
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 am

I'm not sure why the TSN staff is being labeled as victims. Far from it. They were paid for their work, including benefits, offered severance packages (free money) and they all knew, or should have known the station had been in trouble for years, yet decided to stay on instead of moving on to other, possibly more stable opportunities.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:11 am

Just sayin' wrote:I'm not sure why the TSN staff is being labeled as victims. Far from it. They were paid for their work, including benefits, offered severance packages (free money) and they all knew, or should have known the station had been in trouble for years, yet decided to stay on instead of moving on to other, possibly more stable opportunities.

Mmmm, if you’re a sports commentator/reporter/journo by trade, there are very few options to find “more stable opportunities” without moving, which is also difficult given the localized nature of sports reporting.

It was perhaps foreshadowing that when TSN 1040’s program director was laid off a couple of years ago, nobody with similar skills was brought in. This left the inmates running the asylum to some degree, which isn’t really great for listener retention because most of the talent there (apart from Don Taylor Blake Price and Bob Marjanovic) didn’t have a lot of radio experience in their careers. It’s a very niche format that requires some expertise.

Severance is not “free money” either. It’s what you’re entitled to for time served to the company. Replacing that income (which was negotiated by both employer and employee) is going to be very difficult for most of that staff.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am

I see Paterson made the media rounds this week, including back on NW. He had some high praise for the station, which is quite comical because several times during his 1040 tenure he would not pass up a chance to trash the Black Tower.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby radio knob » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm

@funny1040am tweet replies.. that actually is the only funny thing that they've done. Not a one is positive.

To the board members here who get into the weeds of CRTC bureaucracy:
Does a format change, not just a style - Classic rock to country but full on 100% like this one, have to have approval prior - even just as a formality?
How do the CANCON numbers work out? 30% canadian comics?
When does this licence come up for renewal , can the public research this?

Can a case not be made via CRTC complaint that this such a change from the the original licence, I'd argue it is now an automated station, that Bell is essentially holding the licence as an passive investment.
Or am I being naive that CRTC would dare stand up to BELL?
radio knob
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Formats on AM aren't regulated. It's a free-for-all as long as it remains in English.

Don't know if comedy bits count as "songs"....if they do they'll need to keep the 35% up, but I don't think so.

There's really nothing to involve the CRTC in.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm

Just one exception to note on Aaron's comments: some AM stations have specific "conditions of license" or are a certain "class of station" that require or restrict certain amounts of programming. For example, CJLV in Laval, Quebec, was recently turned down when they asked to increase from 15% to 40% per week of ethnic programming.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Another example, TSN 690 Montreal, which had committed to a certain amount of local programming as a condition of being over ownership limits. Modifying that condition was recently denied.

CKST is a standard AM license with no extra conditions.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Aaron wrote:Formats on AM aren't regulated. It's a free-for-all as long as it remains in English.

Don't know if comedy bits count as "songs"....if they do they'll need to keep the 35% up, but I don't think so.

There's really nothing to involve the CRTC in.

Comedy bits don't count as songs
Marathon
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia