CKDA Victoria - Charlie O'Brian - 1992

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

CKDA Victoria - Charlie O'Brian - 1992

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat May 09, 2020 7:28 am

From the RadioWest aircheck archives -

Known during his time at CFAC Calgary and CJVI Victoria as Brian Currie, here's Charlie O'Brian on Victoria's West Coast Oldies Station, 1200 CKDA.

https://soundcloud.com/westernbroadcast ... ay-11-1992

News and sports are updated by Steve Duffy, who worked at 100.3 the Q after his time at AM 1200 ended his 40 year career in Victoria radio in January 2017 at C-FAX 1070. Donna Tunney has the traffic.

Stirling Faux and an edition of the BC Lottery Corporation's Luck Radio, which aired throughout the province, is also featured.

On July 1, 1986 CKDA 1220 moved to AM 1200. https://radiowest.ca/ckdaswitch.html

On September 1, 1995 at 5 p.m., CKDA signed off the air. The owners of CKDA sold it to the OK Radio Group, then the owners of 100.3 the Q FM. CKDA's FM sister station CFMS was sold to Rogers.

On October 10, 1995 at 5 p.m., CKXM 1200 signed on with a country music format.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: CKDA Victoria - Charlie O'Brien - 1992

Postby DonovanTildesley » Mon May 11, 2020 9:39 pm

This is about the time (give or take a month or two) that I discovered CKDA from Vancouver. Charlie O'Brien makes reference to Chuck Chandler being "the new guy on staff". Was Chuck brought in to replace Al Ferraby? Al arrived at CISL for middays in June of '92, and I know he spent some time at CKDA before making the move to Vancouver.

I had the chance to visit CKDA at Pandora and Douglas on a number of occasions, one of which was almost a year to the day of this aircheck. By this time, Charlie O'Brien had left the station (I believe for Japan?), Chuck Chandler moved to mornings and the late Murray David Collins was brought in for PM drive. Steve Duffy was moved into a part-time news role on both CKDA and CFMS.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)