Where's the station?

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Where's the station?

Postby erratics » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi folks: I assume Matt McBride's 4 stations aren't coming back. I don't know why it's taken so long for the CRTC to issue a new call for applications on these frequencies given the length of time these stations have been off the air. I assume it's Ottawa bureaucracy.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 am

I found this confusing letter hidden away on the CRTC site this morning:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/lb190710.htm

It states that CKPM went dark on June 27, 2019? Fact of the matter is the station has been off the air since April 2018.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Dan Sys wrote:I found this confusing letter hidden away on the CRTC site this morning:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/lb190710.htm

It states that CKPM went dark on June 27, 2019? Fact of the matter is the station has been off the air since April 2018.

Probably because it was dead air and an unmodulated carrier until the TX was shut down for removal.

Same thing for CFPV in Pemberton. After abandoning the studio in 2009, the TX was left operating despite the STL being disconnected.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 am

[Dave L. wrote: quote
Probably because it was dead air and an unmodulated carrier until the TX was shut down for removal.][/quote]

Makes sense from a technical point Dave, but the CRTC should be more concerned about the fact that programming ceased in April 2018.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:52 am

Dan Sys wrote:
Makes sense from a technical point Dave, but the CRTC should be more concerned about the fact that programming ceased in April 2018.

Exactly. If (in the example of CFPV) leaving an unmodulated carrier up for two complete cycles of a license period, then inviting renewal, the commission and IDEC aren't doing their job.

I realize there's a burden on the community to report or otherwise advise about bad actors, but this appears as though it's solely incumbent upon the public, as opposed to via regulatory oversight and enforcement.

It's really unfair.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 pm

In the letter from the CRTC to McBride, Marie-Lyse Lavallee brings up these points:

In a letter dated 5 July 2019, the licensee informed the Commission that CKPM-FM Port Moody was taken off-air on June 27, 2019. CKPM-FM Port Moody indicated that following unsuccessful negotiation of the antenna site lease, its tenancy was terminated. It added that the station will be off-air until such time as an approved alternate broadcast site can be established.

In order to continue the analysis of the licence renewal application, you are required to provide the following additional information:

Explain in detail the circumstances of this situation.
Explain why the station was suddenly taken off-air by the landlord on June 27, 2019.
File the terminated lease, which should indicate its expiry date, or the documents that terminated the lease.
Indicate the next steps for the station’s operations and when it is expected to be back on the air. Further, describe any initiative that has been attempted in the search of a new broadcasting site.
Furthermore, explain why the Commission should renew the broadcasting licence for CKPM-FM (which expires on 31 August 2019), in light of the various instances of apparent non-compliance identified in letters dated 14 May and 5 June 2019 and the fact that the station is currently not in operation.
It is necessary to obtain this information from the applicant in order to provide for a complete record.

McBride states the station was taken off the air June 27, 2019. It hasn't been on the air since April of 2018.

On May 24th 2019 this was posted on RadioWest.

erratics wrote:The antenna where CKPM broadcast from in Newport Village was taken down a few weeks back. The station is history and I guess Matt has moved on to other ventures, whatever they are? I guess when all the bureaucracy sorts itself out, with time, maybe someone else might take up 98.7 frequency in Metro Vancouver.

Doing the math, I'd say even though they'd been off the air for over a year, the antennas disappeared in early May, not late June.

Does this McBride character have a problem reading a calendar? I'm sure his investors aren't too happy with the situation. There won't be any return on their investment.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 pm

FYI as of today, the CRTC has pulled all four renewal applications (CFPV, CKPM, CIMM, and CHMZ) as well as the purchase application by Dennison.
These applications will be dealt with at a later date. The stations have all been renewed until March 2020.
What this means is anyone's guess.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-225-1.htm
splunge

Postby jon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm

splunge wrote:The stations have all been renewed until March 2020.

Wasn't March 2020 the existing expiry dates for the licenses, prior to this announcement?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

jon wrote:
splunge wrote:The stations have all been renewed until March 2020.

Wasn't March 2020 the existing expiry dates for the licenses, prior to this announcement?

yes. they got an administrative renewal from Aug 30, 2019 until Mar 30, 2020 so the Commission could deal with these outstanding issues at the Sept. hearing... I should have said "only until".
splunge

Postby Dave L » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:01 pm

splunge wrote:What this means is anyone's guess.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-225-1.htm

No reason given. Just more enabling of bad behavior. The guy's a fraud and the commission has no teeth, so they renew. Shame.

I told Cameron to apply new several years ago but the commission said no, instead they insisted he pursue a transfer. Advising a potential licensee to doom themselves to failure.

Well, that's all well and good if McBride had his ducks in a row, but he doesn't and I doubt he's even capable. He has no intention of bringing the stations into compliance, nor did he even wish to appear at the hearing, yet they hand him a license renewal anyway.

That's how it's done in Ottawa folks. The least path of resistance by the worst possible route.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Checklist for license renewal:

If you would like the CRTC to renew you license, all you need to do is follow this checklist.

1- Stiff your employees come payday. Blame your employees and make them pay for all your mistakes.
2- Stiff your creditors and vendors to the point of being locked out, cut off or sued.
3- Ignore CCD payments, but promise to make them next time. Then don't make them. The commission will forgive you.
4- Don't submit logs when compelled. In fact, you don't even need a logger. Instead, fudge together a collection of mp3's from memory and submit those. Don't forget to bill the employee for the cost of a new logger.
5- Abandon your studios. You don't need a studio or even have to broadcast content to retain a license. Nobody else can apply in the meanwhile, because you are granted a monopoly.
6- Go off the air, for weeks, months.... even years, but do not give notice to the commission. If you think you must report, give a wrong date later in the future.
7- If your antenna is removed because you don't pay for a spot, just hang it wherever you like.
8- Lie about complaints. Lie about the community in your correspondence to the commission. Make up phony attacks of sabotage and pretend authorities are overwhelmed by it.
9- Secretly offer shares to potential investors or employees, just don't tell the commission.
10- Give up effective control to anyone willing to do the job. Especially the one's willing to pay for it out of their own pockets.

/sarcasm off
Last edited by Dave L on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 am

CRTC has called McBride to Ottawa to face the music on November 5.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-303.htm
splunge

Previous

Return to British Columbia