Where's the station?

Radio News from British Columbia

Where's the station?

Postby beddows » Thu May 09, 2019 1:08 pm

I just got back from my winter home in mexico and noticed that the new station on 206.3 is still not active. What is going on with them, last I heard they were supposed to be on air a year ago.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Re: Where's the station?

Postby Dan Sys » Thu May 09, 2019 2:19 pm

I assume that you meant 106.3. Northern Native Broadcasting was granted an extension until June 14, 2020 to get CJNY 106.3 (Journey FM) on the air. They do hope to launch the station before that deadline though.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Sat May 11, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Speaking of stations that are MIA, it's now been over a year since CKPM vanished from the airwaves. Has McBride turned in the license and walked away from it?

I have yet to run into anybody or any business in Port Moody that even knew of it's existence.

I hope none of the staff has put their lives on hold waiting for it's return.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:35 am

CKPM still has a licence for now. Touch base with Dan Sys but I believe the renewal is this year.
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm

That is correct Don. CKPM's licence will expire on August 31, 2019. To my knowledge Mr. McBride has not voluntarily surrendered the licence, so it should be interesting to see what happens at that point.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 am

Dan Sys wrote:That is correct Don. CKPM's licence will expire on August 31, 2019. To my knowledge Mr. McBride has not voluntarily surrendered the licence, so it should be interesting to see what happens at that point.

All four McBride licenses expire on that date.

The operator (if you call it that) of CIMM was ousted because both CIMM and CHMZ were sold to Cam Dennison.

Here's the thing though, how does one sell a station in the absence of compliance and a public hearing?

While just an observation, it seems to me he's been bilked into paying the outstanding CCD contributions, so they might bring the stations into compliance then apply for an administrative transfer. After all the BS from both previous license holders, the commission would be negligent to allow it.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-196.htm

CFPV-FM Radio Ltd. CFPV-FM Pemberton, British Columbia
CHMZ-FM Radio Ltd. CHMZ-FM Tofino, British Columbia
CIMM-FM Radio Ltd. CIMM-FM Ucluelet, British Columbia
CKPM-FM Radio Ltd. CKPM-FM Port Moody, British Columbia

Here it clearly states the public will have an opportunity to intervene. I'm still awaiting the next bulletin on this, because they're going to get an earful from me.

"5. Interested persons will be given the opportunity to comment on the renewal applications once these are posted on the Commission’s website."

Meanwhile, the station broadcasts from an illegally mounted antenna in a non-advertised nor NAVCAN approved location. No legal ID's, no Cancon compliance. Websites and social media infer effective control is by TuffCity Radio, not McBride himself.

The commission ordered McBride to run non-compliance reparation spots, but didn't.

It's just one big scam after another.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby erratics » Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 pm

The antenna where CKPM broadcast from in Newport Village was taken down a few weeks back. The station is history and I guess Matt has moved on to other ventures, whatever they are? I guess when all the bureaucracy sorts itself out, with time, maybe someone else might take up 98.7 frequency in Metro Vancouver.
erratics
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am

Dave L wrote:
Dan Sys wrote:That is correct Don. CKPM's licence will expire on August 31, 2019. To my knowledge Mr. McBride has not voluntarily surrendered the licence, so it should be interesting to see what happens at that point.

All four McBride licenses expire on that date.

The operator (if you call it that) of CIMM was ousted because both CIMM and CHMZ were sold to Cam Dennison.

Here's the thing though, how does one sell a station in the absence of compliance and a public hearing?

While just an observation, it seems to me he's been bilked into paying the outstanding CCD contributions, so they might bring the stations into compliance then apply for an administrative transfer. After all the BS from both previous license holders, the commission would be negligent to allow it.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-196.htm

CFPV-FM Radio Ltd. CFPV-FM Pemberton, British Columbia
CHMZ-FM Radio Ltd. CHMZ-FM Tofino, British Columbia
CIMM-FM Radio Ltd. CIMM-FM Ucluelet, British Columbia
CKPM-FM Radio Ltd. CKPM-FM Port Moody, British Columbia

Here it clearly states the public will have an opportunity to intervene. I'm still awaiting the next bulletin on this, because they're going to get an earful from me.

"5. Interested persons will be given the opportunity to comment on the renewal applications once these are posted on the Commission’s website."

Meanwhile, the station broadcasts from an illegally mounted antenna in a non-advertised nor NAVCAN approved location. No legal ID's, no Cancon compliance. Websites and social media infer effective control is by TuffCity Radio, not McBride himself.

The commission ordered McBride to run non-compliance reparation spots, but didn't.

It's just one big scam after another.

For those interested, the above stations are being considered for renewal in September, at a non-appearing public hearing. Applications can be downloaded from this link, and public interventions/comments will be accepted until July 29th. Enjoy!

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-225.htm#bm2
splunge

Postby Dave L » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 pm

splunge wrote:
For those interested, the above stations are being considered for renewal in September, at a non-appearing public hearing. Applications can be downloaded from this link, and public interventions/comments will be accepted until July 29th. Enjoy!

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-225.htm#bm2

$108k for a zero revenue station isn't a very good deal, no less a wise investment for a radio station with under a hundred listeners at any given time.

I have no objections to Cam taking over, but a fool and his money are soon parted. No less when he could have applied on his own when I recommended it to him three years ago. He'd be on the air now at a fraction of the cost. McBride has broken every rule in the book, repeatedly. He stiffed everyone in his employ. He left landlords and creditors holding the bag. Yet the commission entertains renewal.

CFPV in Pemberton has been off the air for TEN years. McBride abandoned the studio on Oct 31, 2009.

It only goes to show how out of touch the CRTC is and that my friends, is for shame.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm

i look forward to reading your crtc intervention!
splunge

Postby Dave L » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am

splunge wrote:i look forward to reading your crtc intervention!

Here's the thing, though. McBride is obviously the height of neglect and defiance. Never in my six decades have I seen a radio licensee at that level of non-compliance, bad debt and blatant disregard for the community. It's supposedly my understanding that transferring effective control is dependent upon a history of compliance, at least for an administrative transfer. A public hearing is essentially hamstringing other applications. No less by one's who are best equipped to undertake it.

As much as I favor Dennison taking over, he's basically usurped the license process. He's been in effective control, despite the premise McBride is. They placate each other but that's all. He erected the TX without engineering or IC approval or gazetting for NAVCAN. The station IDs are not running as regulated. In fact the call CHMZ is NEVER heard. Instead the brand Tuff City Radio is the ID. No CANCON compliance. The station itself sounds good, has a good signal pattern despite the illegal location and the content is satisfactory to many. Cameron is a well known, local resident with a young family and I expect he'll work hard to do a good job. But I maintain this upcoming process is unfair. I have no doubt he will receive many letters of support. I doubt any will object, including me. But that's not what I'm objected to.

Allowing the transfer would reward bad behavior and punish those who would otherwise apply for a commercial license in the prescribed manner. I know this because I am in an advisory position with a locally operated media company who has diversified from a successful run of a tourist channel on the local cable system which was defuncted by TELUS buying out the provider. The have an application before IC at this time and rather than apply for a commercial license, is granted a CRTC exception as a tourist station. That may be all well and good, but again, puts up barriers to a commercial operation. The TX site is ideal (MT Ozzard) and the power, tower and technical access is approved by the provider.

Okay, so it's a workaround, but why should this be? I thought commercial radio was not to imply a monopoly or an outlet for cliques. I get a "shut the fuck up Dave" all the time from the former licensee and his blind followers, as though I have no right to even intervene in the process. He's basically driving the Dennison application, even though he lost his license for non-compliance through lack of effective control and not providing the service.

For the commission to even entertain the renewal of CFPV in Pemberton is a joke. I mean really. Ten years of nothing is not service, it's neglect. If the commission thinks it's still on the air, then either someone is not telling the truth or not doing their job. I suggest it's both.

The mere fact approval or non approval is dependent upon an intervention by a member of the public at his own time and cost is pathetic. Intervention will undoubtedly be met with the usual sour grapes accusations and assertions effective control is BS and the commission simply takes the least path of resistance by defaulting to the licensee, even though a pattern of non-compliance is their history.

Sure, I'm hostile. I have every reason to be. I'm not alone in that view, but they've all thrown their hands in the air after twenty years of this nonsense. They all look to me to make the intervention, at a time when I can least afford it.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 pm

CFPV in Pemberton has been off the air for TEN years. McBride abandoned the studio on Oct 31, 2009.

Interesting because all of a sudden a couple months ago CFPV reappeared on the ISEDC database listed as "operational". Did the station actually return to the air or is this a screw up on ISEDC's part?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Dan Sys wrote:

Interesting because all of a sudden a couple months ago CFPV reappeared on the ISEDC database listed as "operational". Did the station actually return to the air or is this a screw up on ISEDC's part?

Interesting indeed. I am not aware of it being restored, but if it was it would have to be from a TX in a new location and I don't see a technical amendment to that effect. Mind you, relocating the antenna in Tofino wasn't either. Seeing how there was no studio all that time, it would have to be a totally new build from the mike to the stick. After the previous renewal, McBride was admonished for an un-modulated carrier and further renewals were dependent upon an IC (now ISEDC) decision which was pending.

Somehow, I doubt it. Had he done that, I'm sure I'd have heard about it, but I'll ask some Pemberton folks for an aircheck. I'm passing through there in a couple of weeks and will report back if I don't hear from them in the meantime.

Besides that CFPV was pretty much a zero revenue station and if one were to throw a bunch of money, you'd think CKPM in Port Moody would have been a better option, but it's still dark.
Last edited by Dave L on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby splunge » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Dave L wrote:
splunge wrote:i look forward to reading your crtc intervention!

Here's the thing, though. McBride is obviously the height of neglect and defiance. Never in my six decades have I seen a radio licensee at that level of non-compliance, bad debt and blatant disregard for the community. It's supposedly my understanding that transferring effective control is dependent upon a history of compliance, at least for an administrative transfer. A public hearing is essentially hamstringing other applications. No less by one's who are best equipped to undertake it.

As much as I favor Dennison taking over, he's basically usurped the license process. He's been in effective control, despite the premise McBride is. They placate each other but that's all. He erected the TX without engineering or IC approval or gazetting for NAVCAN. The station IDs are not running as regulated. In fact the call CHMZ is NEVER heard. Instead the brand Tuff City Radio is the ID. No CANCON compliance. The station itself sounds good, has a good signal pattern despite the illegal location and the content is satisfactory to many. Cameron is a well known, local resident with a young family and I expect he'll work hard to do a good job. But I maintain this upcoming process is unfair. I have no doubt he will receive many letters of support. I doubt any will object, including me. But that's not what I'm objected to.

Allowing the transfer would reward bad behavior and punish those who would otherwise apply for a commercial license in the prescribed manner. I know this because I am in an advisory position with a locally operated media company who has diversified from a successful run of a tourist channel on the local cable system which was defuncted by TELUS buying out the provider. The have an application before IC at this time and rather than apply for a commercial license, is granted a CRTC exception as a tourist station. That may be all well and good, but again, puts up barriers to a commercial operation. The TX site is ideal (MT Ozzard) and the power, tower and technical access is approved by the provider.

Okay, so it's a workaround, but why should this be? I thought commercial radio was not to imply a monopoly or an outlet for cliques. I get a "shut the fuck up Dave" all the time from the former licensee and his blind followers, as though I have no right to even intervene in the process. He's basically driving the Dennison application, even though he lost his license for non-compliance through lack of effective control and not providing the service.

For the commission to even entertain the renewal of CFPV in Pemberton is a joke. I mean really. Ten years of nothing is not service, it's neglect. If the commission thinks it's still on the air, then either someone is not telling the truth or not doing their job. I suggest it's both.

The mere fact approval or non approval is dependent upon an intervention by a member of the public at his own time and cost is pathetic. Intervention will undoubtedly be met with the usual sour grapes accusations and assertions effective control is BS and the commission simply takes the least path of resistance by defaulting to the licensee, even though a pattern of non-compliance is their history.

Sure, I'm hostile. I have every reason to be. I'm not alone in that view, but they've all thrown their hands in the air after twenty years of this nonsense. They all look to me to make the intervention, at a time when I can least afford it.

Dave, check your messages in RadioWest.
splunge

Next

Return to British Columbia