Peaked. They Were Peaked

Radio News from British Columbia

Peaked. They Were Peaked

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 am

Two familiar voices on Vancouver radio are now off the air.

102.7 The Peak FM afternoon drive hosts Casey Jo Loos and James Sutton were let go from the radio station on Tuesday.

“We got fired,” Loos says in an Instagram story.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: Peaked. They Were Peaked

Postby Rocky » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 am

Are the folks at Pattison getting ready to launch another Beach?

The Peak has basically been struggling since day one.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am

I was working at a very “research heavy” station that was doing a major strategic on the market, and the PEAK was starting to appear. (This was around 2010). My boss was concerned because the Peak had a wide playlist and a very simple proposition; World Class Rock. The PEAK was making in-roads on the street.

The problem for those early fans of the PEAK (and millennials in general) is survey participation. That demo is not represented well enough, but they’re the first ones to sell out and attend concerts. So programmers do the predictable and start scaling back the playlist. Ross Winters is from the classic “spin 100 tunes” and “hire a morning duo from out of market that talks about their penises” school.

Maybe it will work, but from my viewpoint on the ratings, there’s been no improvement over the last few years...yet, it always seems to be the on-air staff that takes the bullets.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 am

GrumpyOldMan wrote:I was working at a very “research heavy” station that was doing a major strategic on the market, and the PEAK was starting to appear. (This was around 2010). My boss was concerned because the Peak had a wide playlist and a very simple proposition; World Class Rock. The PEAK was making in-roads on the street.

The problem for those early fans of the PEAK (and millennials in general) is survey participation. That demo is not represented well enough, but they’re the first ones to sell out and attend concerts. So programmers do the predictable and start scaling back the playlist. Ross Winters is from the classic “spin 100 tunes” and “hire a morning duo from out of market that talks about their penises” school.

Maybe it will work, but from my viewpoint on the ratings, there’s been no improvement over the last few years...yet, it always seems to be the on-air staff that takes the bullets.

It's sad that the on-air staff almost always takes the bullets when the actual fault is with the incompetent programmers whose gameplan they are following. Sometimes the talent just isn't as talented as they sold themselves to be, but in most cases, the problem is with the person that hired them in the first place.

Like many, I thought somebody would have flipped a struggling station to Classic Hits immediately after LG 104.3 became The Breeze on Boxing Day. Maybe the time is now for that change to happen. I honestly can't see the folks at Pattison bringing the NOW or TODAY Hot A/C format into an already overcrowded Vancouver marketplace.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:38 am

Rock 101 and JACK pretty much have the Classic Hits spectrum covered.

Now/Today are more about the between-the-records announcer style and much as its music format, and may be the better opportunity currently.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Aaron wrote:Rock 101 and JACK pretty much have the Classic Hits spectrum covered.

Now/Today are more about the between-the-records announcer style and much as its music format, and may be the better opportunity currently.

Would a Now style work in Vancouver, where the focus is more on the announcers than the music? See, Crash & Mars?
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Maybe Patterson will give a jazz or classical format a try, he once applied for the 94.5 frequency for that. Much more limtied appeal, but Jazz & Classical are pretty much the only 2 formats not represented by Vancouver FM stations. Classical is not doing bad in the toronto market.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:33 pm

beddows wrote:Maybe Patterson will give a jazz or classical format a try, he once applied for the 94.5 frequency for that. Much more limtied appeal, but Jazz & Classical are pretty much the only 2 formats not represented by Vancouver FM stations. Classical is not doing bad in the toronto market.

For more than a few years now (since the CBC created the monkey puzzle at Radio Two), I've wondered why Zoomer/CFMZ hasn't pitched the Commish for programming relays in other locations. Locally-focused advertising would cover the costs and clever use of computerised inserts could give at least a semblance of regional presence. The two dominant commercial broadcast groups in New Zealand do it to great effect into even really minor markets with their multiple 'brands', er, stations... and make money.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:52 am

beddows wrote:Maybe Patterson will give a jazz or classical format a try, he once applied for the 94.5 frequency for that. Much more limtied appeal, but Jazz & Classical are pretty much the only 2 formats not represented by Vancouver FM stations. Classical is not doing bad in the toronto market.

Classical works in Toronto because Zoomer has a whole apparatus set up to sell advertising to those over 55. Launching Classical in any other market, without all that, would be the quickest possible way to watch your national and agency ad dollars disappear.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:59 pm

I've often wondered what the listenership of teh deep tracks channel on sirius xm is and whether that format woudl work with baby boomers who maybe sick of the same old tracks on classic rock stations.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia