Glen Livingstone passes

Radio News from British Columbia

Glen Livingstone passes

Postby radiofan » Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 am

Sad to report that longtime (1972-1999) CKNW/CFMI production guy Glen Livingstone passed away yesterday after a brief stay at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster at age 66.

Glen and I were friends since Elementry School in Burnaby in the mid 1960s. We worked together for many years at CKNW and CFMI and remained friends until his passing.

In addition to regular production work, Glen's job for many years was producing "Discumentary", a show that not only ran on CFMI but was syndicated to stations across Canada and in the USA.

Glen produced every hour long (1,000+) Discumentry show, voiced by Dave McCormick and later Terry David Mulligan. He also researched and wrote many of the shows.

In recent years, Glen managed the magazine department at Chapter's in Coquitlam.

Along with myself, Glen was one of the founding members of the original Puget Sound Radio which evolved into current day Radio West.ca.

It's hard to say goodbye to a lifelong friend and one of the most creative minds I've ever know.

Condolences to Julia, Glen's wife of 35 years and his family and many friends.

R.I.P. my friend.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Glen Livingstone passes

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed May 08, 2019 4:02 am

Sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to Glen’s wife and family.

By writing Discumentary scripts from 1977-1980, I got to know Glen. And got to see firsthand how his technical wizardry boosted the words spoken by Dave McCormick, songs highlighted on each show and interview clips, when applicable, setting up those songs.

To my ears, Discumentary sounded better than virtually any other syndicated show from either side of the border. With Glen’s production smarts being a vital part of the formula.

A privilege to have known Glen back in those days. The world is a poorer place without him. Godspeed, Glen.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 am

I first met Glen in the hallways of NW back in late seventies. Turned out that we shared the same high school and a love of record collecting. It was the start of a long friendship that sadly ended much too soon. I'll miss his wry sense of humour but mostly that Glen was one of the most decent human beings I've ever known.

Condolences to his wife Julie.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Today (Wed May 29) a bunch of Glen's former CKNW/CFMI co-workers and friends got together for a lunch at C-Lovers in South Surrey to swap stories and remember Glen.

Ted Wendland, Barrie McMaster, Rod Gunn, Brian "Frosty" Forst, Bob Mutis, Brian Antonson, Ron Budd, Ched Miller, John Oliver,
George Garrett, Dave Glasstetter, Don Kennedy, Paul Preston, Dan Forrer, Stirling Faux, Shawn Webster, Des Hidson and John Tanner

Thanks to Rod Gunn for sharing the updated pic that includes Frosty!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia