Radio News from British Columbia

Kool 107.3 Victoria... Is now Virgin 107.3

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:22 pm

...becomes Virgin Radio on Friday.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Re: Kool 107.3 Victoria...

Postby paterson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Interesting, just wondering how different the Virgin format would be from the current hot a/c Kool FM? The same happened here in Kitchener ON when our Bell hot a/c Kool FM changed to Virgin 2.5 years ago.. Problem is we already had another station with a successful similar format, Corus owned 91.5 the beat. Even though Virgin has a vastly superior signal and coverage area still haven't been able to surpass 91.5 in either central market or even full coverage.

Looks like CKKQ 100.3 Q is a bit of a powerhouse. I really find many of the Pattison stations I listen to on line are bang on musically for what they are trying to achieve .Said it a few times before (I do tend to repeat myself) wish Jimmy Pattison would see fit to buy a few stations in Eastern Canada.

Hey Aaron any more inside rating info on how the Breeze stations are fairing in Vancouver and Edmonton so far?
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Will a new coat of paint finally get 107.3 some traction? I highly doubt it.

Will it be live and local? I highly doubt it.

Radio listeners in Victoria have a full dial to choose from. Besides local, they have all the Vancouver and Seattle stations at their disposal.

Bell may as well pull a Stingray and make 107.3 a repeater of Virgin Vancouver with a CFAX newsie doing traffic, weather and news in AM drive.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm

paterson wrote:
Hey Aaron any more inside rating info on how the Breeze stations are fairing in Vancouver and Edmonton so far?

Edmonton is cooling off a bit. Still huge with the upper-upper demos though. Really big in evenings, but that doesn't count for much. Up 99.3 seeing the benefit.

Vancouver is a non-starter, so far. Won't beat LG's numbers any time soon. Rock 101 reaping the rewards, a bit to Jack too.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Jim Walters wrote:Will a new coat of paint finally get 107.3 some traction? I highly doubt it.

Will it be live and local? I highly doubt it.

Radio listeners in Victoria have a full dial to choose from. Besides local, they have all the Vancouver and Seattle stations at their disposal.

Bell may as well pull a Stingray and make 107.3 a repeater of Virgin Vancouver with a CFAX newsie doing traffic, weather and news in AM drive.

They recently posted for a new morning show, and everyone else seems to be in place...so Live and Local would appear to be part of the plan.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Aaron thanks for the update on Edmonton and Vancouver Breeze.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am

Aaron nails it again!

Virgin it is.

CTV Vancouver Island
Published Friday, February 8, 2019 7:49AM PST
Last Updated Friday, February 8, 2019 8:30AM PST

Victoria' s hit music station is getting a makeover.

iHeartRadio Canada announced Friday the launch of 107.3 Virgin Radio in B.C.'s Capital.

The radio station sports a new look and a new morning show anchored by Brittany King, who joins Virgin from 107.3 KOOL FM, and Chris Palliser, who comes from 94.5 Virgin Radio in Vancouver.

Brittany and Chris will wake up with Victoria weekdays from 5:30-10 a.m.

“I’m super excited to be part of 107.3 VIRGIN RADIO and am honored to wake up with my hometown. Chris and I actually worked together 14 years ago in Fort McMurray, Alta., so this is such an exciting reunion,” says Brittany. “We’re going to have lots of fun...and also lots of coffee. He says he’s a tea guy, though. We’ll see.”

For Chris, it's a return to the place he grew up.

Read the full story at: https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vict ... -1.4288559

Virgin 107.3 Website: http://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradio/victoria
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia