Jon McComb 35 years at CKNW/Corus

Radio News from British Columbia

Jon McComb 35 years at CKNW/Corus

Postby kal » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 pm

In the tough business that is radio, Jon McComb is clearly a survivor. More than that; he remains at the top of his game, at the number 2 station in the Vancouver market, although for most of those 35 years it was the number 1 station, often by a wide margin.

Jon McComb has morphed from a news man, to a sidekick to a news man, Phillip Till, to the equal of said sidekick, to finally being the boss of his own domain, the valuable morning slot at CKNW.

In this Vancouver Courier piece, McComb talks of some his personal struggles and the issues he is passionate about.

https://www.vancourier.com/news/veteran-vancouver-radio-host-celebrates-35-years-at-cknw-1.23515750

In the piece he hints at retirement.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Jon McComb 35 years at CKNW/Corus

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 am

CKVN as a before-it's-time indie-oriented AM rock station was a grand experiment. I mainly loved the music mix and deejay hires of Terry David Mulligan. Glad to learn, all these years later, that Jon McComb had his first introduction to Vancouver on the news side of VN. He returned east but then came back for keeps to the West Coast.

I once cracked Jon up. He'd seemed a little bummed out. Governor General Adrienne Clarkson was in the news for high spending ways. So I called in and joked that Jon might want to switch careers to grab the wine-taster's job that GG Adrienne was apparently trying to fill. If nothing else, my quip motivated follow-on callers to weigh in on Madame Clarkson.

Happy 35th at CKNW, Jon.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Re: Jon McComb 35 years at CKNW/Corus

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Jon and I both worked at CKVN. Golden days.
A down to earth and amazing gent - I am so pleased that he has thrived in this brutal business. He deserves it all.
There are few people left, from my era.
There comes a time.
Ask Jon about Simon Ginsberg, sometime. (*The PD at CKVN, for a short time).
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia