Why would this be news?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Why would this be news?

Postby paterson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Been flipping between news channels off and on over the day (CNN, CTV News Channel, CBC News Network, BBC World News and CP24). I have noticed that CTV NC has been running a kicker story that Maroon 5 has been rumoured to be the headliner for the Super Bowl half time show on February 3rd in Atlanta. I have seen this story 4 times so far.

Why is this news? Why is it important? The NFL would not confirm the report, but said in a press release the half time show will again be an "epic show" this year. Again just a rumour so far, but still warrants a story at various times during the day on CTV News Channel. Yes I know that CTV has the Canadian rights to the Super Bowl but the actual game is over 4 months away. Can hardly wait until Maroon 5 is confirmed as the headlineer. I am sure CTV news will do a bang up job of that too!
paterson
Advanced Member

Re: Why would this be news?

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Wow. They just keep making it easier and easier for me to boycott the NFL this year.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:41 am

Bruce Allen has devoted a couple of recent CKNW Reality Checks to the galloping growth of e-game events. Apparently the Aquilinis have invested in a potential Vancouver team for an e-league.

Bruce advises anyone over 40 to take a young techie along to interpret the games, rules etc. Otherwise, he cautions, it can be a pretty overwhelming WTF viewing experience for the uninitiated. Nevertheless, lots of bums in the seats for such proceedings.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:38 am

I think you answered your own question.

"Yes I know that CTV has the Canadian rights to the Super Bowl"
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Yes, I guess I did answer my own question tuned, good point. Just thought CTV News Channel was giving this story more prominence than was warranted, and also it was based on a "rumour." Better suited on Etalk, Entertainment Tonight or the E! channel in my opinion. Could be one reason why CBC News Network has higher ratings and ad revenue than CTV News Channel. Although sadly both CTV and CBC news channels are getting smoked in the ratings in Canada by CNN. Some of the Trump effect don't ya know!
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:51 pm

They're all garbage, biased media sources, with a flare for the sensational. :)

When I'm watching the news on TV, it's usually (in this order, usually) Bloomberg U.S. (have to watch it thru Apple TV now, since the BDUs removed it from our line-up, to try and kowtow to their Bell Media overlords and get people to sign up for the demonstrably worse BNN Bloomberg!), local newscasts (primarily KOMO-TV...yep! I've reverted to local news again), Fox News Channel (only Tucker Carlson Tonight, Greg Gutfeld, and their more newsy programming), Al Jazeera, and CGTN.

Pik TV is looking more and more interesting (and cheap, even with paired with Amazon Prime Video and CraveTV)...

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News