Pattison Buys 4 Radio Stations From Fabmar

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Pattison Buys 4 Radio Stations From Fabmar

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am

JPBG acquires 4 Western Canadian stations from Fabmar ...

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Pattison Buys 4 Radio Stations From Fabmar

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Be curious to see what happens with the middle ground stations (Whitecourt, Chilliwack).

Rural, but close enough to the cities where people have several options.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 pm

A power boost in Chilliwack might be a good plan, although a new frequency would likely have to be found as protecting other stations on 89.5 forbids a power increase under the current arrangement. You can barely hear CHWK a few miles out of Chilliwack as it stands now.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Sure hope the Pattison Broadcast Group keeps on this buying trend and picks up some of the Corus radio stations that are currently up for sale, We need Pattison radio here in the east! They seem to be a well run company that is big on local radio.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm curious which top Pattison executive oversees radio assets. Who knows? Maybe former premier Glen Clark handles that side of things. Whoever it is, seems to be doing a good job.

In my listening and watching, Canadian media didn't really play up the Pattison Group connection to that duck-boat tragedy last month in Branson, Missouri. The amphibious tour vehicle was owned by the Ripley's Believe It Or Not arm of the business. Jim Pattison Jr. gave CNN and other US media interviews in the wake of the disaster. So, presumably, Jim Jr. is in charge of that part of the Pattison Group.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby RadioDon11 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am

As the last News Director before the news room was shut down in 2014, this will be interesting to watch. I'm still in the market with FVN Fraser Valley News.
RadioDon11
Advanced Member

Postby Story4You » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

RadioDon11 wrote:As the last News Director before the news room was shut down in 2014, this will be interesting to watch. I'm still in the market with FVN Fraser Valley News.

and based on your comment, it appears you will not be the next News Director of the station.
Story4You

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:59 am

RadioDon11 wrote:As the last News Director before the news room was shut down in 2014, this will be interesting to watch. I'm still in the market with FVN Fraser Valley News.

You've already got the cluster's management running around online promoting how great it is for them but either through layoffs or attrition, on-air and news (where it still is) will be cut to match what other Pattison-owned small markets have.

I don't know how Pattison works their creative and production in (regional based or does each station have an individual?) but cuts could be coming to Melfort in that area as well.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Richard Skelly wrote:I'm curious which top Pattison executive oversees radio assets. Who knows? Maybe former premier Glen Clark handles that side of things. Whoever it is, seems to be doing a good job.

In my listening and watching, Canadian media didn't really play up the Pattison Group connection to that duck-boat tragedy last month in Branson, Missouri. The amphibious tour vehicle was owned by the Ripley's Believe It Or Not arm of the business. Jim Pattison Jr. gave CNN and other US media interviews in the wake of the disaster. So, presumably, Jim Jr. is in charge of that part of the Pattison Group.

Isn't still that Rick Arnish guy?

Glen Clark was overseeing The News Group division, presumably including its Oakridge Accounting Services subsidiary, which has an office in Kelowna; however, last I checked, he had the COO job of the entire Pattison Group. He did well for himself. :glasses7:

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Pattison seems to eschew segmenting their most senior corporate leadership along business lines. Sure, each division has its own "president," all of whom likely report directly to President & COO Glen Clark; however, the real "power," that is corporate acquisitions, seems to be done along corporate function lines at the senior-most level. So, according to Pattison's Corporate Leadership page, I would say its two Managing Directors of Corporate Development, David Cobb and Matt Miller, likely played lead roles in these acquisitions. They probably do all of the sourcing, due diligence, back-and-forth meetings, and then present their case to Mr. Pattison Sr., who likely has "final say," though he may have delegated entirely to them the ability to give the OK to "small" deals. What a "small" deal is to Mr. Pattison may still well be in the $10-100 million range, however. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News