Shaw Communications rolls out Internet 300

Radio News from British Columbia

Shaw Communications rolls out Internet 300

Postby kal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Get ready for another round of Internet service price increases.

Shaw Communications has today rolled out Internet 300, around two years after the battle with Telus over 150 Mbps speeds. The basic game plan is to keep increasing the speeds, and the prices for those top tiers. Shaw is limited through technology on the upload side so the 300 plan will have a 20 Mbps cap on the upload. Many users won't care about that. They are consumers. It's not clear whether Telus (so far limited to 150 synchronous) will play the Shaw game. Long term, Telus should be able to do 1 Gbps synchronous but that could be years off.

Shaw looks set to bring its pricing eventually to what people paid for full-service Internet and TV before cord-cutting became a hit on the bottom line. The Internet 300 plan shows regular pricing will be $120 after the promo period expires. Can you say "$150 for $600" say in 2020? Maybe $175 for 1 gig around 2022.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Shaw Communications rolls out Internet 300

Postby tuned » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am

What a great scam. Soon it will cost more to just get internet than a full cable package plus internet. Then you'll have to pay for "apps" like netflix and Disney etc. and in the end you'll be spending even more than the old cable "packages". Shaw should spend money fixing their coverage on Freedom. Their LTE is a joke and there are still plenty of spots in Vancouver that have zero coverage. I live in a building where my ONLY option is Shaw. Telus came around a few months ago to get permission to install fibre and haven't been heard from since. Where's the CRTC in all of this? Figuring out new regulations and taxes for the internet on companies like Netflix.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm

kal wrote:Get ready for another round of Internet service price increases.

Shaw Communications has today rolled out Internet 300, around two years after the battle with Telus over 150 Mbps speeds. The basic game plan is to keep increasing the speeds, and the prices for those top tiers. Shaw is limited through technology on the upload side so the 300 plan will have a 20 Mbps cap on the upload. Many users won't care about that. They are consumers. It's not clear whether Telus (so far limited to 150 synchronous) will play the Shaw game. Long term, Telus should be able to do 1 Gbps synchronous but that could be years off.

Shaw looks set to bring its pricing eventually to what people paid for full-service Internet and TV before cord-cutting became a hit on the bottom line. The Internet 300 plan shows regular pricing will be $120 after the promo period expires. Can you say "$150 for $600" say in 2020? Maybe $175 for 1 gig around 2022.

Yeah, I'd like to know how they plan to be "faster" than TELUS' fibre optic network exactly. I thought fibre optic was the "platinum standard" in wide area networks? ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:00 pm

I just checked and TELUS is now offering 300/300 at a rate (after the promo period) that is $15/month more than 150/150. No contract required.

In areas with Fibre, of course.

TELUS surprised a lot of people with their latest quarterly results, in terms of growth in Internet and TV customers. It is the Fibre driving it, as their growth elsewhere was pretty lacklustre.

I'm a month or so away from taking the plunge, but am backing off to 75/75, a new offering since they introduced 150/150 more than a year ago.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 am

I went to telus fibre when they installed it on my house, manily becauase i only pay 60% as an ex employee I get 175 up & down, fast enough foer me, its limited by what you are connected to at the far end anyway.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 am

Does the average schmuck even know what any of it means? I highly doubt it. It's all marketing...solving a problem that doesn't exist like "data overages'.

Netflix streaming 4K is 25 mb/s...HD is 5mb/s. So maybe somebody could explain to me how anyone needs 300mb/s or even 150? I guess if you have TEN 4K TV's in your house streaming TEN 4K movies simultaneously....
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 am

A lot depends on how much downloading versus streaming a household does.

On-line backup of household computers is becoming fairly mainstream now, and that is where the Upload speed really matters to anyone who uses it. Download can really matter during a Restore from an on-line backup.

There is also the niche market of those of us who have web sites to take care of. Or even YouTube or Facebook pages.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 am

None of the above applies to the average Shaw customer. How does anyone need a 300 megabit per second connection to manage data on FB or youtube? Niche market? A smartphone with LTE has plenty of bandwidth to do that. Anyone that's spending three digits a month for an internet connection is a sucker. They're probably also sending Rogers or Telus a couple hundred a month for a cel phone. Bigger isn't better. A household of two could easily manage with 50mb/s service and that's only necessary if they stream netflix or youtube. Double it if you have kids to 100mb for 90% of people will be plenty.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 am

btw Novus downtown is offering 1,000 mb/s download speed with unlimited data regular price/no contract for $69 bucks a month. internet 100 is $50 bucks a month.
They're making money at those rates so Shaw/Telus etc are massively ripping us off. Why? No real competition. Between internet and cel service most Canadians are being ripped off thousands of after tax dollars per year. Wouldn't you rather have a new car or take a nice vacation? Apparently not because people keep paying.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 pm

jon wrote:I just checked and TELUS is now offering 300/300 at a rate (after the promo period) that is $15/month more than 150/150. No contract required.

In areas with Fibre, of course.

TELUS surprised a lot of people with their latest quarterly results, in terms of growth in Internet and TV customers. It is the Fibre driving it, as their growth elsewhere was pretty lacklustre.

I'm a month or so away from taking the plunge, but am backing off to 75/75, a new offering since they introduced 150/150 more than a year ago.

We have had TELUS fibre optic Internet for, I think, 3 of the past 6 years we've been with TELUS. We still haven't upped our plan beyond TELUS Internet 15 (or Internet 25, can't remember which) so we're not even fully utilizing the download speeds. We don't seem to get much higher than 15 MBps anyway, but I'm happy with the speeds. I can remember trying to download a 1 hour Star Trek: Voyager episode in the late '90s or early '00s with Shaw@Home and we generally had to wait about 72 hours for it to finish. Now, it's what, 250-500 MB in about 3 minutes? Pretty fast. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia