Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Re: Bro Jake leaves TSN morning show

Postby jon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 am

TSN 1040's Bro Jake announces end to his long-running radio show
Patrick Johnston
The Vancouver Province
June 25, 2018

Bro Jake Edwards’s time on TSN 1040’s morning show is up.

After The Province first revealed he had a big announcement coming, it was confirmed Monday morning that Edwards would be “throwing away his alarm clock.”

It’s been rumoured for a few months now that he would be leaving when his contract expires at the end of June.

Monday morning, Edwards confirmed on air his last day co-hosting the morning show will be on Friday, June 29. He’s not completely leaving the airwaves though: he will continue to host a four-hour show on Saturdays.

Edwards joined 1040 in September 2013, teaming up with Dave Pratt to host the morning show and replacing a very popular setup hosted by Scott Rintoul and featuring the likes of Paul Chapman and Jason Botchford — yes, from this newspaper — and Paul Debron and Joe Leary. For Pratt, it was something of a triumphant return to a station that he’d left a couple years before in a contract dispute. (He was working with Bro Jake at Rock 101 before the 1040 return.)

It was not a popular move in some circles, but despite that, Pratt and Edwards still pulled strong numbers, even after the launch of Sportsnet 650, which just recently re-jigged their morning show. Listener data suggests the 1040 morning show has been beating 650’s heavily in the key male demographics that sports radio sells its advertising for.

Big advertising dollars was something that Edwards brought along with him.

Before moving to 1040, Edwards had spent 17 years as a high-profile personality on Rock 101. He was Canadian Radio Personality of The Year in 2001.

Expect 1040 to use a rotation of guest hosts alongside Pratt through the summer, with a permanent host named for the fall.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Gonna miss The Bro in the mornings. This guy knows how to run a show. I could care less if he knew everything about sports. That's not why he was hired. To all his naysayers, how many can brag about a 45-year, successful career in Canada's major markets. Not many. Most talk hosts today are BORING,illiterate, and shallow in depth when it comes to the issues. So good on Jake for showing them how to do it.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 pm

When I finally was lucky enough to spend some time with Bro' Jake, I was left charmed and with a new friend.

I admire his incredible career success and I hope he enjoys many days of "no more alarm clock".
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:39 am

What Bro lacked in Sports understanding, he more than made up for in revenue, which will continue to be his calling on weeekends.

It was interesting to see how the dynamic between he and Pratt unfolded. They obviously didn’t get along. It was not surprising then that Pratt was away during the Bro’s final week, and the announcement of his departure came that Monday morning. Pratt didn’t have to go through the bother of saying goodbye and raining on the parade.

The next body (if there is to be one) in that chair will be an interesting decision.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia