CKNW newsroom moving to Global in Burnaby?

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: CKNW newsroom moving to Global in Burnaby?

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 am

jon wrote:I wouldn't want RadioWest to be the only radio-related discussion area in the world where all the Posts were responses to the OP (Original Post) of the thread.

Time to move on. My work here is complete.

Calm down Jon. No beef here. Most of your long personal anecdotes have a thread of a tie in to the topic. I read the long post here a couple of times and really tried, but couldn't. Maybe you could start a section called Jon's Thoughts or something. Don't go anwhere.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

I for one loved the reference to Moscow.

As for the point at hand, the title of this thread... this morning, the 5 am 'NW newscast was indeed replaced by the TV feed. I'm not sure how long it ran as I fell asleep again. I do know that there was a segment where two feeds were overlapping.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

First they'll move the NW News to Global in Burnaby which will then be moved to the Centre Of the Universe. The world has changed since 1975 and this latest move is just a reflection of it. Plus when you have a utility company involved with content it's not going to end well. Thanks CRTC.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Stn Brk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 pm

When is the lease up on the Black Tower? If I recall, that was a bad business deal. Long term lease with escalating costs built into the contract.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:27 pm

The space in the Black Tower, has to be returned to original condition, at the end of the lease, or on a buyout.

TWO spiral staircases connect two floors of the tower. Million plus...is the number, I have heard, to get rid of them and return the building to it's original form.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am

I never knew about the spiral staircases. Is that where Rafe Mair (RIP) came to grief by having a younger assistant carry his coffee as he descended? The other harassment allegations against him seemed similarly flimsy to warrant departure from NW.

Whether or not Rafe was set up, no doubt much rejoicing broke out in the offices of then-Premier Gordon Campbell when news broke of the Mair exit.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:20 pm

He wouldn't have been the first one "set up" when management wanted to get rid of someone with a contract.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 pm

radiofan wrote:What a f'ing joke.

Is there any assets left in the Black Tower from the once mighty CKNW?

Is there anymore chairs to shuffle on The Titanic?

Does Corus lease Black Tower? That could be more of the impetus than Global BC boss Jill Krop looking to bring the radio staff under the Global wing, literally in addition to figuratively. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Just sayin' » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Mike Cleaver has it right. Lot of greats came out of Winnipeg. As a university student with a morning carpool commute, Don Percy and Manny Bazoonis ruled the radio waves at the Big 58 CKY. I think Don is retired now and Bazoonis went to Vancouver where last I heard, he was rockin' the news in his awesome style at a sports station. I knew one other of the great news guys from CKY, Marshall Armstrong who mentored Bazoonis at the Big 8, CKLW Detroit.
Just sayin'
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 am

Jeffries is right. It would cost them a Million bucks to return the two floors in the TD tower back to leaseable condition.
Word is that the NW 'newsroom' at Global consists of 2 news readers, McDonald in the morning and Schintz in the afternoon, along with a couple of reporters. Everything else comes from Global staff. :oops:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am

CKNW--the former Top Dog in BC radio--edging ever closer to the day when the whole shebang will be operated out of a studio the size of a phone booth. CKNW--the once mighty new leader with a fleet of news cruisers, reporters everywhere (sometimes three reporters covering all the angles of a single story), investigative journalism by the likes of George Garrett, hard-hitting talk show hosts. CKNW--now forced to be the regurgitator of Global stories.

Is there any Vancouver radio station that can now claim to be "first" with the breaking stories? A station that all the others monitor to find out what's going on locally? I doubt it.

What a pathetic situation.
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Sad days indeed for news reporting. Anyone remember when CFUN/CKVN was a news leader, with their first field reporter, Sunny Lewis?
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Sunny was a tremendous asset to CKVN and then CFUN, for a long time.

I believe she lives in her native USA, now.

Great reporter and great to hang out with - which we did, for many years.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Hoping to see Sunny again after all these years if she shows for the big CFUN reunion party in about six weeks.
I’m headed north for it from Washington state.
Oregon, her home now, is only a few hours drive further.
Before commencing my jocking career at CFUN, I was fortunate enough to spend half a year working the CFUN news team and yes, we did chase the stories down the same hallways and streets and alleys as NW.
I’d like to think we commended ourselves well as equals, were respected and maybe even beat them to a few scoops now and then.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Many years back, while vacationing in Hawaii, I chanced upon Sunny Lewis broadcasting on Public Radio, presumably in Honolulu. As noted above, she’s relocated to Oregon. I believe Sunny files features for an environmental news service. In my recollections, a total pro in her CFUN days.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia