CBC's Stuart McLean has Melanoma

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CBC's Stuart McLean has Melanoma

Postby jon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:24 am

Stuart McLean cancels Vinyl Cafe Christmas tour due to melanoma
'This is not quite as ominous as it sounds,' says McLean, who expects 85% positive outcome from therapy
CBC News Posted: Nov 21, 2015 9:29 AM CT
Last Updated: Nov 21, 2015 10:49 AM CT

Vinyl Cafe host Stuart McLean has cancelled the remainder of his Christmas tour this year because he has been diagnosed with melanoma.

In a post on Facebook and the website for the CBC Radio program, McLean said all remaining shows after Sunday in Thunder Bay, Ont., will be cancelled.

"I have just learned that I have melanoma. I begin therapy next week," McLean said in the post online early Saturday.

"This is not quite as ominous as it sounds (or not as ominous as it sounded to me). Melanoma, which was once a deadly diagnosis, has, over the last couple of years, become eminently treatable. The treatment is, as my wonderful doctor describes it, the poster child of cancer therapy."

McLean's doctor said he can expect an 85 per cent chance for a positive outcome from the immunotherapy treatment he'll be receiving.

In particularly humble fashion, McLean said he expects "to reconvene next Christmas, as we would have this year had it not been for my extraordinarily bad timing."

McLean said he considered doing the tour while undergoing treatment, but worried the treatment's side-effects would keep him from being "my best self."

"I know this is a disappointment to those of you who are looking forward to the show. It is a disappointment to me too. It feels like I invited everyone to dinner and am calling to say the party's off. I don't know what to say except, I am sorry."

Originally scheduled for 16 sets after the Thunder Bay show, McLean's tour would have taken him to Seattle, Wash., into Western Canada — including stops in Saskatoon on Dec. 1 and Regina on Dec. 2 — and on to Ontario and Quebec, ending in Montreal on Dec. 22.

McLean said ticket-holders will receive refunds through the purchasing outlet, starting on Tuesday.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CBC's Stuart McLean has Melanoma

Postby radiofan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:12 am

Stuart McLean's Facebook post from this morning.

Some unexpected and disappointing news.

We have to call off the Vinyl Cafe Christmas Tour as of Monday November 23rd – the day after the concert in Thunder Bay.

I have just learned that I have melanoma. I begin therapy next week.

This is not quite as ominous as it sounds (or not as ominous as it sounded to me). Melanoma, which was once a deadly diagnosis, has, over the last couple of years, become eminently treatable. The treatment is, as my wonderful doctor describes it, the poster child of cancer therapy. He tells me a positive outcome for the immunotherapy I will be receiving should be in the neighbourhood of 85%. So I expect we will be able to reconvene next Christmas, as we would have this year had it not been for my extraordinarily bad timing.

We wondered about the option of doing both – the tour and the therapy – but there is the possibility of side effects from the treatment and I don’t want to be doing shows if I can’t be my best self. Nor do I want to be doing therapy if I can’t bring my best self there.

I know this is a disappointment to those of you who are looking forward to the show. It is a disappointment to me too. It feels like I invited everyone to dinner and am calling to say the party’s off. I don’t know what to say except, I am sorry.

If you do have a ticket to one of our Christmas Concerts (after our Thunder Bay show - which is on tomorrow, Sunday November 22nd) you should contact the ticket outlet where you purchased the tickets. You will receive a refund. Ticket refunds will be available beginning Tuesday November 24th, 2015. You obtain your refund at the point of purchase (if you purchased online, call the phone number of the ticket seller).

If you are looking for a Ticketmaster or theatre phone number, you can check our website:

http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/concert_dates.php

We will announce next year’s concerts in the usual way and if you want to make sure you don't miss them, the best thing to do is subscribe to our newsletter. You can do that here:

http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/contact.php?vAction=signup

Finally, I don’t want you worrying. I am otherwise healthy and, as I said, the likelihood of this being a bump in the road rather than the end of the road is by far the most expected outcome. There are many, many people who are much sicker than I am, who both need and deserve your concern.

My apologies for the disruption and my best wishes to you and your loved ones for the holidays and the year ahead.

~ stuart

https://www.facebook.com/VinylCafe/?fref=ts
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CBC's Stuart McLean has Melanoma

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I wish Mr. McLean a vigorous recovery.
I really enjoyed interviewing Stuart, for KISS-FM's "Vancouver at Noon".
Charming and so friendly.
Get better!!!!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News