NDP Election Pledge: Pay Increase For Radio Announcers

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

NDP Election Pledge: Pay Increase For Radio Announcers

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:07 pm

NDP Election Pledge Promises Pay Increase For Radio Announcers

By David Farrell Wed, 10/14/2015 - 06:46

The NDP has added a new minimum pay scale for federally regulated industries to its election platform. The minimum hourly wage bill has been trounced twice in the legislative assembly, but it is back on the table and the proposed $15 hourly minimum could be good news for radio announcers who fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Radio, Television & Telecommunications Commission. About 820,000 people across Canada work in industries regulated by Ottawa.

Read more at: http://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/201 ... announcers
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: NDP Election Pledge: Pay Increase For Radio Announcers

Postby jon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Of even greater interest in this article is the chart showing that the current average wage for a Radio Announcer in Canada is $13.64 per hour. Which means about half make less than that!

Before taking this too seriously, however, the "sample set" is only 33 announcers. On the other hand, the article claims the figures are from StatsCan.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Maybe the 33 announcers polled worked for Vista. The numbers are way out of reality with the real world. I don't think wages were that bad at most real stations 20 years ago.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 am

Some of us made a hell of a living. But that was before ownership decided they could do as well - if not better - without live "personalities".
Even as those who subscribed to the strategy of suppressing the personalities started experiencing serious collapses, that is the position that, for the most part, holds - to this day.
Reason: Ownership and management have nary a clue as to how, specifically, to regenerate the required personalities.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 am

They have to one to blame but themselves.

They've been gobbling up and either networking or automating all the small-town stations where young broadcasters used to spend a few years learning and honing their craft. The good ones found their way to progressively bigger markets.

We've lost our minor leagues, folks, along with the talent pool that used to be developed there. I didn't make big bucks in towns such as Trail and Courtenay or even Saskatoon. But the pay was adequate to get by on and while I was at those stations I learned about this business from the Dave Glovers and Billy Brownes and Roy Curries of this world. And some of it sunk in, despite my rather thick noggin.

Want to generate some personalities? Or just competent announcers who won't kick the snot out of everything they touch? Turn off some computers in those markets. Let some budding broadcasters have at it. The good ones will come to the top. And from their ranks will emerge your "personalities".

But then what do I know? I'm just another old fart who's been there and done that and collected a few garish station sports jackets along the way.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:15 am

Jim Walters wrote:Maybe the 33 announcers polled worked for Vista. The numbers are way out of reality with the real world. I don't think wages were that bad at most real stations 20 years ago.

20 years ago, the population did not carry a connection to the world in the palm of their hand.
PMC

Postby PMC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am

mccrady wrote:But then what do I know? I'm just another old fart who's been there and done that and collected a few garish station sports jackets along the way.

It was fun :lol:
PMC

Return to General Radio News