CRTC Calls for Stations to Serve Urban Aboriginals

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CRTC Calls for Stations to Serve Urban Aboriginals

Postby jon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:55 am

Today, the CRTC released their "Call for radio applications to serve urban Aboriginal communities in Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver" at http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-399.htm

It provides a ton of information and, unlike previous CRTC documents, does mention CFWE-FM here in Edmonton, which has been licensed to expand into serving Natives living in Edmonton and Fort McMurray, from their history of having 10 watt FM transmitters on Native Reserves. It also references the CKAV-FM Federal Court of Appeal application.

Here is the Introduction:
  1. The Commission announces that it is calling for applications for a radio licence or licences to serve the urban Aboriginal communities in one or more of the Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver markets.
  2. The Commission is seeking innovative applications that focus on serving Aboriginal Canadians, regardless of the type of service proposed. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how their proposals fulfill this mandate.
  3. Persons interested in responding to this call must submit a duly completed application to the Commission by 12 January 2016, using the appropriate application form for a new licence. Applicants are also required to submit all necessary technical documentation to the Department of Industry (the Department) by the same date.
  4. It should be noted that in making this call the Commission has not reached any conclusion regarding the licensing of any service at this time.
  5. Applicants will be required to provide evidence giving clear indication that there is a demand and a market for the proposed service. This includes demonstrating the needs of the Aboriginal communities in the market(s) in question, how the proposed service(s) will meet them and whether, if there are currently services addressing Aboriginal communities, the market(s) can sustain the proposed additional service(s).
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CRTC Calls for Stations to Serve Urban Aboriginals

Postby jon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:31 am

Who should get the CKAV-FM frequencies?

skyvalleyradio opened the discussion in another thread:
skyvalleyradio wrote:I would like to hear CFWE or the CIAM Ft Vermillion, CFNR Terrace networks in Canada's major cities - forget about useless AVR. The CRTC should give first consideration to one of these broadcasters that will actually bring some Aboriginal music & public affairs to enrich our airwaves. CFWE could offer a hybrid of Buffalo Spirit Radio & Raven Radio on such a network :rockon:

For Edmonton, I would like to see CFWE get the CKAV frequency, and move to the Highway 14/Anthony Henday tower where they could provide City Grade signal anywhere in Edmonton, still cover the Enoch Cree reserve and also have a decent signal into the large reserves just SouthWest of Wetaskiwin.

If that tower is not feasible, the Newcap (CKRA/CIRK) tower on Highway 21 or the CBC tower in Sherwood Park (where CKAV had their transmitter) are also possibilities. All three towers are East or SouthEast of Edmonton, but not far from City Limits.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 am

So what happens to the former AVR frequencies if no Aboriginal oriented groups apply for them? Will the CRTC then open them up to anybody? There is no real mention of that scenario in the "call for applications". I could possibly see CFWE going for 88.1 in Calgary, but I have my doubts that any other viable Aboriginal groups will apply in the other cities.

The frequency that the defunct CKAV-10 operated on in Montreal 106.7 is now the home of Evanov's CHSV "JEWEL 106.7", so the precedent has already been set.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Dan brings up an interesting question. It's disappointing to learn that the CRTC has already handed out one of the former AVR frequencies to a non-Aboriginal applicant. They talk out of both sides of their mouths doing this, confusing potential applicants. I would suggest that in spite of this precedent, the CRTC are under no obligation to to issue licenses in other cities for these vacated frequencies - even when releasing a call for applications. If there are no Aboriginal groups wanting these licenses now, surely the channels can be set aside until such time. Do we really need more of the same-ol' same-ol' crap taking up some of the last available frequencies in our cities? I again reiterate that existing broadcasters such as CFWE, CFNR or CIAM be given a chance to consider creating a network of stations to serve urban centres.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News