CKNW In The Mid 1990's

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

CKNW In The Mid 1990's

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Remember when CKNW was still fully staffed and it truly was still BC's Most Listened To Station?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW In The Mid 1990's

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Greetings!
Thanks for posting this radiofan , much appreciated! I had forgotten some of these people were on NW like Rick Honey. What a major difference then to now! Major difference. Makes you wonder who is left behind the scenes that knows what they are doing especially in the engineering or technical department at NW!

73s , All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 pm

What a collection of talent! This was pre-Corus, so the chequebook was open.

This would have been around the time of NW's 50th Birthday.

This year is the 70th. Has anyone heard any mention of that on air?
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:42 pm

The Best of Both Worlds, in some sense: The '60s and The '90s.

The '60s in the sense that they had live top talents on weekends and all nights. The '90s in the sense that none of the weekday air staff works weekends. Though I couldn't tell when the Sports guys worked. And the News folks would fill up another full page.

Were any of the Jack Cullen shows pre-recorded? As his show was scheduled 7 nights a week.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:49 pm

The last hour of Jack's show was always pre-recorded. The Sunday night show was always pre-recorded (and shared with CJOB in Winnipeg).

The last studio Jack had that had broadcast lines was Parkcrest Plaza in Burnaby. From the late 1980s to the end, most shows were recorded during the daylight hours.

This kept Jack from getting into too much trouble with management. :occasion5:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:10 pm

So would McComb have been there the longest among the 'survivors' in the ad above? As I recall, he was doing news for quite a while (maybe in the early 80s when I was there from time to time) before he and Till did the World Today.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:So would McComb have been there the longest among the 'survivors' in the ad above? As I recall, he was doing news for quite a while (maybe in the early 80s when I was there from time to time) before he and Till did the World Today.

You're right Russ. Not exactly sure when Jon started, but there was a time he split his time between NW and running Sunshine Cabs on the North Shore with Richard Hughes (I believe).

Jon also did the PA announcing at Canucks games for awhile in the early 1980s. Next in line would be Philip Till who is at about the 25 year mark now.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am

There are lots of pictures of Forsty - can not imagine if he had rights in his contract
to prevent further publication in NW material or it was thought to be mysterious.

A bit strange.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm

McComb was given the talk show gig ... when he didn't get the job to replace the retiring Warren Barker as News Director...

He was one of three candidates then on the news staff who were being considered for the post.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:There are lots of pictures of Forsty - can not imagine if he had rights in his contract
to prevent further publication in NW material or it was thought to be mysterious.

A bit strange.

Nothing strange about it all. The no pictures was all apart of "Theatre Of The Mind" ... much likle him living in a Trailer Park in Bridgeview.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby rwbrown » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Eldon,

Lots of comments towards the CKNW technical staff. You are starting to make me think I did something personally to you. :wave:

Rob Brown
Chief Engineer,
AM 730 / 980 CKNW / CFOX / Classic 101
Corus Radio, Vancouver, BC.
rwbrown

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Greetings,
Good to hear from you Rob! No i do not even know you so how could I think that??? What i was thinking was that Corus/Shaw may have had very few on the engineering staff. Glad to know you exist and at least they have one engineering person for CKNW. With all the talk about cutbacks in staff at NW in recent years I was really wondering how the technical staff was there. Good to know you are there!

All the best 73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to BC Radio History