CFMI Master Control 1979

Pictures from our archives and yours .. pics of radio people and radio stations from yesterday and today ...

CFMI Master Control 1979

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

CFMI Master Control Room 1979 with the original McCurdy board.

Thanks to John Mair for sharing this pic!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CFMI Master Control 1979

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for putting this up! Just to the left out of the shot Glen Livingstone is adding a couple more Discumentary's to the shelf. Arnold Epp is in the newsroom.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm

tuned wrote:Thanks for putting this up! Just to the left out of the shot Glen Livingstone is adding a couple more Discumentary's to the shelf. Arnold Epp is in the newsroom.

And it looks like Reg Bamfield and his crew have just mopped and polished the control room floor!

I think I still have one of those History Of Rock & Roll posters in the archives. I had the 52 hour show (on vinyl discs) that we somehow forgot to return to Drake Chenault, until i sold it a
few years ago.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Didn't spend a lot of time in MI - is that blue part a door?

Why was it there and how did it lose its function? What is on the other side.

MI had a door out to the coffee room area next to the news book door.

NW master had two doors one into the hall and one to the newsroom
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Didn't spend a lot of time in MI - is that blue part a door?

Why was it there and how did it lose its function? What is on the other side.

MI had a door out to the coffee room area next to the news book door.

NW master had two doors one into the hall and one to the newsroom

Jack ... the blue you see there was a sound baffle, about a 4" deep wood framed rectangle filled with insulation, and pegboard on the front. These panels were used in all the on air and production studios in
the building and were painted various colours. Directly in front of the board there is a brown curtain covering a window. Thru that window is the NW news booth. In the days when CFMI simulcasted NW's news,
the news reader would give the CFMI op a hand cue to bail out before an NW timecheck or ID.

Like NW, the CFMI control room had two doors. One from the production area/on-air hallway and one (the orange one) behind the millwork for cart machines etc which went to the newsroom/coffee room.

Doors lose their function when they are nailed closed or the hinges are removed.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 am

Back to the pix TW - if the window is to the north - is that a separate booth?

NW's news booth is to the south of MI master

is that 4 feet or inches?? U know me picky picky

I have a vague remembrance of the baffles

One of the fondest times I had was in a production studio on the other side of the "hall" I must have taken
45's or the music carts from somewhere and made some great music tapes (reel to reel) for home use

I remember them going to a friend on the North Shore for a party and that was the end of them
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 am

Jack Bennest wrote:Back to the pix TW - if the window is to the north - is that a separate booth?

NW's news booth is to the south of MI master

is that 4 feet or inches?? U know me picky picky

I have a vague remembrance of the baffles

The NW News booth was between NW and CFMI Control rooms, so I guess it was south of the MI studio. There was only one on-air news booth in the building.

The baffles were 4 inches deep.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnhenryoliver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am

Brings a tear to my eye...that old CFMI control room. (Thanks for the photo Ted!) I worked there from 1979 to 1983. I loved that 8th and McBride building. Some thought the station being out in New West was in the sticks. Not me. I felt that suburban location made the stations (CKNW/CFMI) much more special.
johnhenryoliver

Return to Radio West Photo Album