Vancouver PPM June 28 - September 26, 2010

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Vancouver PPM June 28 - September 26, 2010

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:17 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Vancouver PPM June 28 - September 26, 2010

Postby Karen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Granted this is just a monthly, but it is telling some interesting stories.

CKNW down 3 shares since the end of May?

The Beat is showing that it owns the Today's Hit Music audience. Virgin is spinning it's wheels and is headed back to the glory days of Crave FM.

Jack and News 1130 are both winners for the Ash Street crowd.

Time to put 104.9 on life support. There is no excuse on the planet for this station to be a constant loser. A PD, MD and some jocks who know
the music and the format are desperately needed. Once again these guys are beaten by CISL AM.

Interesting to see The Peak grow about a half share each quarter. By spring they could very easily be out rating Rock 101 and The Fox.

Keep your eyes and ears open.
Karen
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:47 pm

The sad part of all this is that both CKNW and CKWX are doing so well in the ratings despite repeated blood baths of experienced employees being blown out the door. Compare that to QM's significant ratings drop which seems to coincide with the departure of morning man Terry Reid.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Interesting trends, eh?

CKNW and the rest of the CORUS properties - now there's a story.

Which joint will fold the format and change, first - and to what, I wonder.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Terry's been gone from QM for a year and a half now. I don't hear QM-FM in as many stores, offices or restaurants as I used to. I am hearing The Peak, Jack and CISL
in a number of places that always had QM on.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Interesting observation on QM, RF.

I notice CISL a LOT. This is downtown core. I also hear Satellite radio in joints, too.

Think people have had enough of QM ?

FUN FM is killing themselves for a number of reasons, but one could be the can con.

Oh man, April Wine drove me batty when I was lumbered playing them to death, but to heck if I am gonna listen to it now. Break out the "Myles and Lenny" - think they are in deep water.

Red is exempt.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Maybe it's time for NewCap to get into the Vancouver market and show these so called professionals at Rogers how to play Oldies radio. XL 103 in Calgary has an 8.8 share
and is a great sounding station. In Edmonton, Capital FM has an 8.4 share and it too sounds great. LA Radio Group's Sunny 94 in Lacombe (Red Deer) is a great sounding
station. Clear Sky's stations in Medicine Hat and Lethbridge know how to do the format and make it sound great. Even NewCap's W-1440 in Wetaskiwin is a great sounding
mono AM station.

I've been in Vancouver a few times in the past few months and I cannot believe what a waste of airspace FUN FM is. Programmed properly, these guys should be holding
down a 10 share. They have 3 transmitters and cover the lower mainland from Horseshoe Bay to Hope plus most of the Island, and the best they can come up with is a 4.5?
Didn't the PD used to program a modern rock station in Calgary? How about the music director, what's his background, country or soft A/C? Then you add in the consultants
of swing plus former Top 40 jocks/PDs at the helm adding their input and you've got a dog's breakfast.

The station doesn't live up to it's name in anyway. It's not FUN radio. There is nothing FUN about hering the same old worn out songs 3 times a day. Hagopian suggested
maybe can-con is strangling them. With enough variety it wouldn't sound so repetitive. The five Alberta stations I mentioned don't have a problem.

Maybe in 6 or 7 weeks FUN FM will once again become Christmas FM 104.9.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Again, lets take into account these are 2+ numbers. As always I look forward to the ones that matter.

NW deserves to go down, they're offering nothing new or interesting to the market. My guess is the cume is very low compared to others in the market, maybe even getting close to their all traffic station, which like 1410, is the waste of a pretty decent frequency... as has been mentioned before.

There are obviously issues with CFOX and Rock 101 as well. I'm wondering if these other FM's that are languishing will take note of how well JACK is doing with only a live morning show... which has been the situation at QM for years.

I can't figure out the News1130 gain, unless a staff member had a PPM and took it to work.

Good to see JR moving again. A fully staffed station that does a lot of things right!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:25 pm

[quote="Howaboutthat"]Again, lets take into account these are 2+ numbers. As always I look forward to the ones that matter.

Under the B63 for Bingo.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Interesting to look at the weekly cume numbers and see that the all traffic station is in fact, just behind the 'mother ship', CKNW. (745,000 vs 762,000)
And I guess we'll be hearing 'Vancouver's Most Listened to AM Radio Station' promos from News1130 soon. Or maybe they'll realize that they have less than half the listeners of the top FM stations and hold back. (Lest someone point it out online ;) )
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Christmas - FM again. I had forgotten about that.

Didn't CLEAR-FM do better than CFUN-FM...? (* I can just about hear Nuemann Sennheiser sigh). Now, if they had some folks like NS performed, they would be a lot better off. Few did it better than NS. Take that to the bank. Why? because he worked his CAN off, and the attitude was = let's make it GREAT. :canflag2:

J.Robert Wood, where are you?

Good points all - wow, weird times...thanks for the head's up = vis a vis CKNW and All Traffic....uh, that must be giving them fits.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:14 am

I just wanted to throw 2 cents in.

Fun FM could be so much better. Every time I'm surfing the channels, I am hopeful to hear something cool on Fun FM, but never. Each time I get there it's some lame song. Boring. They really should spice it up, and who cares about the rules, just start bending them, play more variety and have more fun on air. I remember when Zed came on as a dance station, and when the numbers were not that great they started sneaking in top 40, and basically glided into a full out top 40 joint. CRTC needs to get there thumbs out thier asses.

Virgin radio is lame.

The Beat is sounding good, and they have pumping audio. It sounds like an American station. It's funny switching between Virgin & The Beat. The sound difference is amazing. Virgin sounds so pathetic. Kinda like Jack FM's sound. The audio is so weak. Other than that The Beat is fun to listen too.

News 1130 is the same as always, except now they pronounce 'W' like 'Double-Ya' which is so stupid, and they ditched Mitch, which sucks. Sounds like the old Zed voice work dude. Lame.

AM 730... has it's good points for that moment while driving.

Other AM's I don't listen to, so I have no idea what's up.

QM is annoying because they run an ID that says 'Vancouver's Soft Rock' then play Black Eyed Peas. Really lame. It's an insult to people's intelligence.

I still enjoy Seattle stations much more, so I usually listen to them online.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I'll agree with that. Beat sounds pretty good these days.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022