CKIQ Jingle question

The place to talk jingles, post wants, trades .. anything jingles!

CKIQ Jingle question

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 am

radiofan wrote:Today's jingle is a 1989 memory from Kelowna's 1150 CKIQ ...

1150 CKIQ Another Morning

Thanks to albertaboyforlife for his edit work on this jingle!

similar to another poster a few weeks back, I'm not sure how to post a new thread, so thought I'd just post this question here. Does anybody remember a CKIQ morning show jingle circa 1992? I recall hearing it on a family trip to the Okanagan that summer. Some of the lyrics went, "We're gettin' through the morning. John Jackson in the morning. Dave, Guzzy, and Tammy too". (The last line referring to newspeople Dave Mills, Mike Guzzy, and Tamara Joel). Would love it if someone happen to have a copy!
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Re: CKIQ Jingle question

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Welcome to Radio West Donovan!

I still have a box or two of airchecks that I am working my way through, so who knows what I might come up with.

Speaking of 1150 in Kelowna, does anybody have a copy of the GMI package that CKFR used when it was Oldies? These were the "KFR Kelowna..." jingles, based on the KJR Seattle logo line.
Someone has suggested these were acquired when Jason Mann was PD. I have a few of the jingles off an aircheck recorded in Vancouver ... would love a copy of the package!

Congratulations on your latest hire at 101.5 Mountain FM Donovan! BJ is a great addition.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Terrific! I remember listening to CKIQ as a youngster while holidaying in Naramata. My first real exposure to small-town full service radio. Perhaps someone on here can verify, but did 1150 decrease power after sunset? I could get it reasonably well during the day, but had no luck after 8PM.

And thanks so much Radiofan! I've known BJ since the CISL days, and he'll be an invaluable asset to the team at 101.5 WHISTLER FM. (Different from that "other" radio station in the Sea-to-Sky Corridor)! ;)
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm not sure if CKIQ actually cut power at night or did a pattern change.

Being a latecomer (I believe they signed on in 70 or 71), they didn't have a lot of choices when it came to nigh time signal. On 1150 they had to protect Seattle, Klamath Falls, OR, Pocatello, ID
and to the east Brandon. MB and who knows what else. They would have had to protect CKXL 1140 in Calgary and KRAK 1140 in Scaramento and of course, clear channel KSL on 1160.

They were never a regular catch in the lower mainland.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:54 pm

CKIQ was 1000 watts day and night. My pattern source says they are still non-directional daytimes now that they are 10,000 watts full-time.

They don't show their night-time pattern from the 1KW days, but here is the current night-time pattern:

As you might guess, the transmitter site is South of Kelowna, just East of Gyro Beach Park.

Then, as now, there are a lot of other stations on 1150.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby DonovanTildesley » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 am

dial twister wrote:They were never a regular catch in the lower mainland.

No, but you could get a reasonable signal from Whistler now and then.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Postby Flint » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I remember CKIQ getting a new jingle package from TM Dallas in the early 80's (?) and when it arrived, they sang… "I'd rather be in Kee-lah-WANna". We had to send it back to have it pronounced "Kelowna".
Flint

Postby j2strat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:23 pm

The CKIQ Morning Crew jingle that you were referring to was written and produced by Ran Barry a brilliant song/jingle/writer. Dave Pears who was then PD surprised me with the package one day and it was probably one of the best pieces I had heard . It was loosely based on the Beach Boys tune "Do It Again"

The CKFR jingles did sound like old KJR and it was difficult to not come out of a tune without saying KFR ..although the PD at the time insisted on CKFR..and you all know how that goes.
Thanks for listening
John Jackson
Kelowna
j2strat

Postby DonovanTildesley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 pm

John, any chance you could dig up the cut in question and send along to Radiofan to post? I only ever heard it once, but the melody is still in my head. I was at a week-long retreat in Naramata along with my family in the summer of 1992. One of my councellors was the daughter of weatherman Allen Norse (sp?), a daily contributor to CKIQ. She had no idea that she could receive the station in Naramata, but little 7-year-old me showed her it was indeed possible! :) Because of that long morning show jingle, she was under the impression that Dave Guzzy was the name of the traffic and editorial reader. I figured otherwise after clearly hearing one guy ID himself as Dave Mills and the other Mike Guzzy. Again, a great example of small market full-service AM radio done right.
DonovanTildesley
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Jingles Discussion Area