Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 27

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 27

Postby radiofan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1977 ... Toulouse and "It Always Happens This Way" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZC2W2a3-s

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - November 27

Postby paterson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Only a few cancon songs with French lyrics have made it on the charts in the rest of the country. This one of course from Toulouse, Mitsou with Bye, Bye Mon Cowboy.

In 1963 The French Song was a hit for Manitoba's Lucille Starr, and she was back in '64 with Jolie Jacqueline, Pagliaro's J'entends Frapper picked up airplay on some top 40 stations outside of Quebec in 1973, and Winnipeg's Giselle Mackenzie had a hit in Canada in 1951 with La Fiacre and the song also became popular the following year in the US in 1952.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm

paterson wrote:Only a few cancon songs with French lyrics have made it on the charts in the rest of the country.

In mid-1971, "Attention, la vie est courte" by Pierre LaLonde was, briefly, in heavy (for CHQM) rotation at CHQM, but it may have only been played on AM.

Has a trick ending that fits with the title, by ending abruptly in the middle of a word. Roughly translated, the title is "Hey, Buster. Life is short."

I loved the song at the time. Haven't heard it in decades, but suspect I'd still like it a lot.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:55 pm

jon wrote:In mid-1971, "Attention, la vie est courte" by Pierre LaLonde was, briefly, in heavy (for CHQM) rotation at CHQM, but it may have only been played on AM.

Has a trick ending that fits with the title, by ending abruptly in the middle of a word. Roughly translated, the title is "Hey, Buster. Life is short."

I loved the song at the time. Haven't heard it in decades, but suspect I'd still like it a lot.

The only other french song I can remember getting airplay would be the Singing Nun with Dominique but this song isn't cancon. I remember 1050 CHUM also played the flip of It Always Happens This Way from Toulouse with a song called On a Rien a Perdre but it never charted. L'Affaire Dumoutier (Say to Me) from The Box doesn't really have french lyrics but there is french dialogue throughout the song.

It is too bad that some of the french hit music songs in Quebec don't get any airplay in the rest of the country. Many of these songs are actually bilingual with a mixture of french and english lyrics, and are very well produced. I was in Ottawa for Remembrance Day and I listened to Bell's NRJ (Energie) radio and there was a lot of great french/english songs on the radio that really wouldn't sound out of place anywhere. But C'est la vie!
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:30 pm

What I really miss was the French language Top 40 stations in Quebec playing both English and French language songs, back to back.

I spent 4 months in the late Spring and Summer of 1973 in Ottawa. I found that the French language Hull Top 40 station played more English Top 40 hits per hour than the major Ottawa English language Top 40 station. Because of a much lighter commercial load. Marc Denis was doing evenings on the Hull station at the time I was there.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Marc Denis was one of the best top 40 jocks in Canada. I heard him in the 70's at CKGM Montreal and he was great. Respect the fact that he worked at english and french radio stations. He was in Toronto a few decades ago for about 7 years I think at EZ Rock.

Ottawa/Gatineau is a really underrated and unique radio market in my opinion. They have 35 radio stations in total and everytime I go to visit family I really enjoy listening to the radio. I don't really understand what the french stations do with their music. I listened to NRJ and Rouge radio (both owned by Bell) around 2 on a Saturday afternoon when I was driving in and both stations were playing mostly english music. And they do these music mixes of about 7 or 8 songs and play one or two minutes of a song mixed into another. Most of these songs were english, and I wasn't sure if there was some sort of theme to these.

But french stations are supposed to play 60% french music overall so they must go some hours with all french songs. And they play a lot of cancon since most of the french hits are local (they play very little from france or europe) and I noticed even with the english songs they were still playing some cancon, I heard Down With Webster and Ruth B. so they play way over 35%.

And Ottawa still has the hit/non hit rule and to be honest this didn't sound bad at all. On the english top 40 stations like JUMP and Hot FM, the non hits were very well chosen and fit in perfectly with the "hits." All they seem to do is just rotate in another cut from whoever is really popular right now and put that into the regular rotation. However, a lot of stations also bury their non hits later in the evening too.

Funny, I was just talking about this on another radio forum a few weeks back (Southern Ontario Western NY) SOWNY forum, and a few of the other posters chimed in about the market, one poster thought they had too many stations. I am surprised Numeris doesn't consider them a major market since they have a ton of radio in the region and between Ottawa and Gatineau you are looking at about 1.3 million people. They have a good variety of talk, sports, country, top 40, rock, alternative stations, bunch of CBC/Radio Canada, religion, even a kids french radio station, so it is a real competitive radio market.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day