Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 29

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 29

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1970 ... it's Spring and "As Feelings Go" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXaw1dLeFBU

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 29

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:34 pm

The story goes that Spring recorded an earlier, superior version of As Feelings Go. But a Coast staffer pushed the wrong button on the Ampeg 8-track (the first in Canada) at PBS Studios built into the Panorama Film Soundstage in West Vancouver.

The tape went spilling onto the floor and was unusable. Spring then re-recorded the song.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:47 pm

It has a distinctively Steely Dan feel despite that Steely Dan hadn’t arrived yet in 1970.

The “lost” superior recording story reminded me of a similar tale about the legendary and iconic Who Live at Leeds album.
Two live recordings were made; one at Leeds and another the following night at the concert in Hull. The Hull show was agreed to be the better performance but someone forgot to track John Entwistle’s bass, so they went with what they had. Modern studio magic has most recently repaired and patched in the missing bass track and the whole thing, both concerts, a 4 piece box set can now be had.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Another lost audio recording was part of the ITV In Concert series recorded here in Edmonton in the late 1970s and early 1980s. And seen around the world. I attended several as my wife worked for one of ITV's sister companies, and ITV gave away free tickets to make sure they had a full house, to "look better" on TV.

The Dionne Warwick show went very well, but the Audio guy was almost having a heart attack when it was over and he rewound the tape to check the audio. Nothing. For the whole show.

When told what happened, Dionne agreed to fly back to Edmonton for $10,000 and record it all. Because of her experience doing Animation voices, she nailed it, in terms of syncing to the video of her lips moving, as well as sounding great.

The Producer was the late Tommy Banks, who never knew until a few years before this death. It was that tightly guarded of a secret.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day