Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 1

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 1

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1987 ... Zappacosta and "Nothing Could Stand In Your Way" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0EkV9-AZtY

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 1

Postby paterson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:40 am

One of the nicest guys in music. Saw the group Surrender back in 1980, Alfie was the lead vocalist for this band; they had a minor hit with Find Your Way, and later the beautiful Start Again. This lovely ballad was written by him when he was 17.

As a solo artist Zappacosta had a string of hits during the 80's. His song Overload was featured on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. It is a shame that his music has become another example of lost cancon hits that receive next to no airplay. Hits like- We Should Be Lovers, When I Fall in Love Again, Nothing Can Stand in Your Way, Letter Back, I'll Be The One, Start Again, and others are all very worthy of airplay but receive almost none. All of these songs received regular rotation on MuchMusic and on radio back in the 80's and early 90's, so the listener would remember these musical gems.

Alfie and the family moved to Edmonton in the mid 90's and this is where he is today, he says he loves the city and the people. I hope the CBC documentary channel repeats the award winning documentary about his career- No Avoiding Cliches which was produced by film students in Edmonton. Still hear him on the Pizza Nova jingle here in the east which has been on the radio for decades.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day