Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 5

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 5

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1983 .. From the LP 'Music For The Hard Of Thinking', it's Doug & The Slugs from Vancouver and "Who Knows How To Make Love Stay" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqS72pTvN04

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 5

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:57 am

Music For The Hard Of Thinking gained release on both sides of the Canada-US border. But when it came to CanCon airplay eligibility, the single Who Knows How To Make Love Stay had to rely on the studio used and not the producers hired. As I'll explain below, it couldn't qualify under the MAPL grid for either Music (M) or Lyrics (L).

Co-producers Glen Kolotkin and Ritchie Cordell were Americans flown in by RCA to oversee the Slugs' third album.
Kolotkin had engineered Jimi Hendrix sessions at Electric Ladyland in New York. After moving west, he was also involved with Janis Joplin's swansongs Pearl album. Pre-Hendrix, he mixed Rolling Stones tracks on Their Satanic Majesties Request.

For his part, Cordell worked his way up New York-based Roulette Records, working on numerous Tommy James And The Shondells sessions. Cordell wrote I Think We're Alone Now and co-wrote Mony Mony. His James cred was likely why he was hired as co-producer for the Joan Jett And The Blackhearts 1981 blockbuster I Love Rock 'N Roll (which Kolotkin engineered). Jett and her band successfully covered Crimson And Clover on that best selling disc.

I can't find specific studio info. But I recall an interview in which Kolotkin reminisced about heading to Vancouver with Cordell to oversee the streetwise Mr. Bennett and his Slugs.

Good thing, too. Otherwise, no way would a single like Who Knows How To Make Love Stay have qualified CanCon if Doug and Co. had soujourned outside Canada to record. That's because it was composed by Bill Danoff and Jon Carroll.

Do those names sound familiar? They were, respectively, the hunky husbands of dishy wives Tammy Nivert and Margot Chapman. Better known as Starland Vocal Band of Afternoon Delight fame. Perhaps Who Knows How To Make Love Stay was uniquely written for Doug And The Slugs. There's no sign of it on any Starland Vocal Band album or solo efforts by Danoff and Carroll after their marriages went kaput (along with their spousal quartet).
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day