Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 29

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 29

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1973 ... Keith Hampshire scored big with his version of Cat Stevens' "The First Cut Is The Deepest" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxBe24FkbE

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 29

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:58 am

Sorry to go off topic. But this single’s engineer, George Semkiw, passed away about a month ago.

George had a stellar reputation, especially after he wowed Lou Reed with a Canadian remix for the album Sally Can’t Dance. George thought there was something wrong with the mastering tape sent by RCA New York and got to work “fixing” it. When Lou called him, George expected a dressing down for his temerity. Instead, the oft-temperamental Reed lavished praise and subsequently ordered RCA America to reissue the disc with George’s mix and, just as importantly, a mastering credit.

George also did yeoman’s work making Freeways by Bachman Turner Overdrive sonically interesting. It was the last studio album featuring Randy and Robin Bachman, Fred Turner and Blair Thornton. Things were tense as rebellion grew against Randy’s creative and production control. Randy left the band soon thereafter. No hit singles, but the individual tracks shone mightily, in my opinion, due to George Semkiw.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 am

I met George in 1974 at RCA studios in Toronto. Real nice guy, down to earth, and I was able to watch him work on a few jingles and a song for a country duo whose name escapes me right now. When I met him he was the Chief Engineer for RCA. In the early 60's George played guitar for Richie Knight and the Midnights. They had the first number one Canadian produced hit on CHUM with the song Charlena in 1963. Don't know if the song was popular in other parts of the country, it was on the Arc label.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am

Pleasantly surprised that Charlena can be had on youtube.
https://youtu.be/TvFgpdS8fcI
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Good find Neumann, I remember this song. Don't hear it much anymore since the "oldies" stations around here really don't play that much 50's or 60's music other than Beatles, Stones, Supremes, B. Boys etc. Most oldies seem to be 70's to 90's now. Being in a band and musician certainly must have helped make George the excellent engineer and producer he turned out to be.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Semkiw was world class. I am sad to hear of his passing. We are losing a ton of talent. RIP.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day