CISL granted TX move to old 600 site

CISL granted TX move to old 600 site

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 am

The CRTC has approved Newcap's 650 CISL Richmond's request to move it's transmitter site to the old CJOR 600 site (owned by Pattison) at Westminster Highway and Nelson Rd in Richmond.

Newcap and it's crew have been hard at work updating the site for the past couple of months.

Read the decision here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-431.htm
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CISL granted TX move to old 600 site

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Greetings,
Thanks for letting us know about CISL moving to the old 600 AM transmitter site that used to be CJOR Vancouver plus their other calls. Yep it would not surprise me if CISL applies for a change of frequency to 600 khz. AM. If they do that would leave 650 available for other applicants to apply for should CISL receive approval to move to 600 khz. AM which is a distinct possiblity in the near future.

73s All the Best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:Greetings,
Thanks for letting us know about CISL moving to the old 600 AM transmitter site that used to be CJOR Vancouver plus their other calls. Yep it would not surprise me if CISL applies for a change of frequency to 600 khz. AM. If they do that would leave 650 available for other applicants to apply for should CISL receive approval to move to 600 khz. AM which is a distinct possiblity in the near future.

73s All the Best from Eldon

Based on what, is it 'a distinct possibility'? There has been nothing to indicate that is remotely being considered.

Honestly, these people who think stations should change frequencies as often as they change underwear slay me.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Greetings, It does not take an Einstein brain to realize that once you have a transmitter site for a station that originally broadcast on 600 khz. AM its a simple step to apply for a change of frequency. Perhaps even more so since CISL is on 650 khz. which is very close technically to 600 AM for antenna requirements etc.. Whether that will happen remains to be seen but it could. My gut feeling since 600 AM is open and the CRTC has not licensed anyone for it yet is that CISL may go for it. If that does happen remember I mentioned it first although a couple of radio friends also mentioned it to me as well.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby retireddxer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:53 pm

The CRTC Decision contains info on an intervention by one of the applicants for 600 requesting that CISL owners be forced to share the Pattison site with them.

"The Commission received an intervention commenting on the application from Channel Zero on behalf of 2308739 Inc. While generally supporting the application, Channel Zero was concerned that provision be made so that a successful applicant proposing to use frequency 600 kHz as part of an application considered at the 27 January 2014 public hearing in Surrey may co-locate its transmitter with CISL. The Commission issued its decision on radio applications to serve Surrey and Vancouver heard at the 27 January 2014 public hearing in Licensing of new radio stations to serve Surrey and Vancouver, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-412, 6 August 2014. In that decision, all applications proposing to use frequency 600 kHz were denied."

That means at least one person thinks it is possible to run both 650 and 600 off the same set of towers. The cynic in me says they were too cheap to pay Pattison to ensure that could happen, thinking they could get the CRTC to do that for them for free. Their hopes have been dashed for good, at least in terms of help from the CRTC. Depending on how the contracts were written between CISL and Pattison, Channel Zero might still successfully negotiate with CISL or Pattison for access but there is certainly no guarantee.
retireddxer

Return to CRTC News