CISL applies to move TX site

CISL applies to move TX site

Postby radiofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:29 am

Newcap has applied to move the CISL 650 AM Transmitter site from the landfill NE of the corner of Steveston Hwy and #6 Road in Richmond to the former CKBD 600 site at Westminster Hwy and
Nelson Rd, also in Richmond. CISL would remain on 650, with a power increase. The cf=urrent tower site lease expires in August of this year and there is no option for renewal. If this application
is turned down, Newcap says CISL will go dark for possibly a few years while a new site is found.

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/instanc ... A&Lang=eng
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CISL applies to move TX site

Postby dial twister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Very happy to see that Newcap is making a positive step in spending the money to keep CISL on the air.

Moviong to the vacant 600 site makes great sense. It's something CKNW should have considered doing. Perhaps they have plans to either move NW to 730 or move the 980 site and twin it
with the existing 730 site in North Delta.

Much like Newcap's W-1440 in Wetaskiwin, CISL can be a money maker for them with oldies music and paid programming.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Everyone is assuming that CISL will be using the old 600 towers and transmitter. That isn't explicitly said anywhere in the application, as far as I can see. Though I do agree that it makes sense, and would also explain the more than halving of night-time power, it does seem odd that nothing has been said about the two existing applications for use of 600 KHz that both indicate the use of Pattison's site.

The Pattison letter in the Newcap application does not clearly state it one way or the other, but it sounds like Pattison would retain ownership of the land, transmitter and towers.

Which leads me to what I think is the most likely scenario: CISL and whoever gets a license for 600 KHz will share the towers, much as 1040 and 1410 do now at the site built in the last 10 years. Only this one is even easier, as CISL and 600 will both use the same three towers, just with different directional patterns.

What I don't know is whether you can place two AM stations on the same towers when they are so closely spaced on the dial.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 pm

jon wrote:Everyone is assuming that CISL will be using the old 600 towers and transmitter. That isn't explicitly said anywhere in the application, as far as I can see. Though I do agree that it makes sense, and would also explain the more than halving of night-time power, it does seem odd that nothing has been said about the two existing applications for use of 600 KHz that both indicate the use of Pattison's site.

The Pattison letter in the Newcap application does not clearly state it one way or the other, but it sounds like Pattison would retain ownership of the land, transmitter and towers.

Which leads me to what I think is the most likely scenario: CISL and whoever gets a license for 600 KHz will share the towers, much as 1040 and 1410 do now at the site built in the last 10 years. Only this one is even easier, as CISL and 600 will both use the same three towers, just with different directional patterns.

What I don't know is whether you can place two AM stations on the same towers when they are so closely spaced on the dial.

I'd think CISL would use the existing towers. As for the TX, I believe CISL updated to a new Nautel in the last few years, so possibbly the old 600 TX would become a backup. It'd be nice if CISL snagged the
AM Stereo generator from the 600 TX tho.

I don't believe the property is or was ever for sale. If it had been put on the market, it would have sold years ago and be a part of the ever growing industrial development between their property and the
Fraser River. Much is the acreage is filled with blueberry plants.

The 600 site would be a nice grab who whoever (if anyone) is granted 600 BUT there is nothing saying Pattison has to lease the site to a successful applicant. Pattison surrendered the 600 license when
they were granted the FM license for The Peak. The property they own happens to have three towers and a transmitter on it that were used for a defunct radio station. Likewise, there is nothing saying
a successful applicant has to lease the property from Pattison for their new station.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby dial twister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:42 pm

CISL has less than five months left at their current TX site.

The move could be approved tomorrow and they'd be on their way.

It could still be several months until approvals for the recent Surrey hearings are released. I doubt anyone will be prepared and ready to hit the air the day after the approvals, so there is time to work
out the technicalities of twinning the site for 600 and 650.

Perhaps the 600 applicants have worked out a deal with 1200 or someone else as a potential twinned site. This could be the reason Pattison has made the site available to Newcap.
dial twister
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't believe it is possible to twin two frequencies on the same set of towers when one is the harmonic of the other. Maybe someone has that one solved, but I recall that it used to be a big issue.

600 x 2 = 1200

Given the kind of savvy businessman that Jim Pattison has always been, I doubt he would miss an opportunity to double his money on the old 600 site, by running two stations on it.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News