Broadcast History - May 5

Broadcast History - May 5

Postby jon » Thu May 04, 2023 8:01 pm

I couldn't find any Canadian radio News on this day that would interest Western Canadian radio fans, so I have turned to International News.

On this day in 1926, my grandparents were married in Spokane. In the years prior, my grandfather had built his first radio receiver, a "Cat's Whisker", so that he could hear the World Heavyweight Championship on KHQ.

In 1945, the Prague Uprising was organized, using Prague Radio, which, at 12:33 p.m., began broadcasting calls for all Czechs to take up arms in organized resistance. More than one million Nazi soldiers were concentrating, with their weapons, around Prague, to carry out previous orders from a now-dead Hitler.

Also in 1945, Radio Orange announced the liberation of The Netherlands. The announcer was none other than Dutch Prime Minister P.S. Gerbrandy who said: "People of the Netherlands -- thou art free." Radio Orange was the radio station of the exiled Dutch government during World War II that broadcast to the occupied Netherlands using transmitters from the BBC. Gerbrandy's words were part of a special thirty minute "Liberation Broadcast".

In 2007, the Metropolitan Opera concludes its radio broadcast season with Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice -- the first time the Met has broadcast this opera in 36 years. In 1940, Canada became the first country outside the U.S. to receive The Met. Europe was added in 1990, now covering 30 countries there. South America, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and China have also been added since then. "Saturday Afternoon at the Opera" became so well known by CBC listeners that, when it was dropped from the AM network (CBC Radio One), it was replaced with a program titled "Definitely Not the Opera" (DNTO) which ran until May 14, 2016.

jon
Advanced Member

Return to Today in Broadcast History