Broadcast History - July 1

Broadcast History - July 1

Postby jon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:19 pm

In 1941, Sam G. Ross became the first manager of Press News Limited, later known as Broadcast News, the company formed to provide Canadian Press News to private stations. Before World War II was over, Ross had resigned to become News Director of CKWX Vancouver, serving as Overseas correspondent when Canadian forces cross the Rhine. He was promoted to CKWX's Assistant Manager upon his return to Vancouver. Sam passed away March 24, 1977.


In 1948, the CBC bought CKY Winnipeg from Manitoba Government Telephones, switching call letters to CBW on September 3rd, simultaneously switching to 50,000 watts from a new transmitter site.

In 1950, CBE Windsor signed on 1550 KHz with 10,000 watts. In fact, the station was not new: it had just been off the air over 12 years, signing off as CBW on February 5, 1938, at 6 p.m. The station had changed call letters from CRCW on October 3, 1937 at 4 p.m., having originally signed on at 8 p.m. on February 14, 1935, on 600 KHz with 1000 watts day and 500 watts night. The original station was only partially owned by the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission (CRBC, the predecessor to the CBC); the remainder of shares were held by CKLW. CBE's first Program Director was John L. Moore, who would later start CHLO St. Thomas, a station that soon became a hot bed of future Top 40 talent.

In 1952, Jim Robson was first heard on the air, on CJAV Port Alberni (B.C.). He was only 17 years of age and quickly migrated to Sports, doing play-by-play for the Alberni Athletics basketball team, including their win of the 1955 Canadian Senior Men's Championship game. He also commuted to Nanaimo for play-by-play of lacrosse games for CHUB. Between 1970 and 1994, he did play-by-play for about two thousand Vancouver Canucks hockey games on CKNW New Westminster.


In 1956, CFCY-TV-13 Charlottetown first signed on.

In 1958, the CBC celebrated Dominion Day, and the CBC English Network's status as having the world's longest television network, by broadcasting a program seen from Victoria to Sydney (Nova Scotia) on 46 stations, only six of which were CBC-owned. The network technology was Microwave, using high power transmitters and very sensitive receivers with dishes on high points of land across the country, literally one mountain top to another in most of B.C.

In 1963, CFRB-FM Toronto became CKFM, after some period of totally separate programming. Shortly before his death, Ted Rogers Sr. first signed the station on in 1938 with an experimental license under the call letters VE9AK on 42 MHz in the FM band as it was defined at the time. Simulcast with CFRB-AM, the station transmitted with 50 watts from a mast only 60 feet above downtown Toronto street level. During World War II, the station left the air in 1942 and returned in 1945. In September 1947, a commercial license was obtained and CFRB-FM was on 99.9 MHz with less than 1000 watts. In 1960, power was increased to 200,000 watts.

In 1968, CHUM-FM Toronto switched to an Underground format, as it was known then, modeling themselves after U.S. college FM stations. The album cut format originated in San Francisco, and was a mixture of current and past Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz and other genres, but with the overwhelming majority taken from current Rock LPs that charted well on Billboard's Top 200 Album chart. Before long, the format became Progressive Rock, dropping all the other genres, in favour of Rock album cuts from the preceding two years that still charted well on Billboard. But the format remained: music played in quarter hour segments, different album cuts seamlessly melded together, all back-announced, with the first cut often introduced, all in a laid-back somewhat intellectual announcing style. CKLG-FM Vancouver had been running the format full-time for several months prior to CHUM-FM's change, and had hired John Runge as Music Director, because he developed a similar format with Bill Coull at CKUA Edmonton several years earlier. CHUM-FM switched to Adult Contemporary in September 1984. The station first signed on September 1, 1963, switching to stereo a year later; the station never simulcast CHUM-AM.


In 1973, CBXFT-TV-11 Edmonton eliminated all English language programming from its schedule. Since signing on August 1, 1969, the station had carried programming from the Metropolitan Edmonton Educational Television Association.

In 1977, the CKO All-News network signed on for the first time, initially with only two FM stations, in Ottawa and Toronto, though the CRTC had also issued licences the previous year for Winnipeg, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and St. John's (Newfoundland).

In 1986, CJJR-FM Vancouver signed on at 9:37 a.m. on 93.7 MHz with 36,000 watts. It was a sister station to Jim Pattison's CJOR-600, and remains a Country music station today. Here's the sign on with GM Harvey Gold and the first few minutes of programming: CJJR LAUNCH AIRCHECK

Also in 1986, CKDA Victoria moved from 1220 KHz to 1200 KHz at 12:00 noon, and power remained at 50,000 watts. Charlie O'Brien is the last voice on CKDA 1220 and Dean Roberts kicks off the new CKDA 1200. CKDA eventually became Country CKXM which moved to FM and is now CJZN-90.1 THE ZONE. CKDA FREQUENCY SWITCH AIRCHECK

In 1987, WFAN-AM New York becomes North America's first full-time All-Sports radio station.

In 2001, CFGW-FM Yorkton (Saskatchewan) signed on 94.1 MHz with 100,000 watts. In the next two years, repeater transmitters were added at Swan River and Wapella.


In 2006, CJSB-FM Swan River (Manitoba) signed on 104.5 MHz with 210 watts, and a mix of country and rock music.
User avatar
Advanced Member
Posts: 9235
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests