Broadcast History - October 3

Broadcast History - October 3

Postby jon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:10 pm

In 1968, the CRTC refused to renew the license of CJLS Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Its News and public affairs programming were the major areas cited. The CRTC gave the owners until the March 31, 1969, license expiry date to find a new owner, which they did on November 26, 1968. The station had first signed on April 1, 1934, and had continuously been owned by the family of founder Laurie Smith, who died in 1950.

In 1983, CKNW began broadcasting in AM Stereo.


In 2001, CFEK-AM Fernie and CJEK-AM Sparwood were approved by the CRTC to merge into a new FM station covering both communities with 470 watts on 99.1 MHz. The new station was assigned the call letters CJDR and signed on as "The Drive" in 2002. But, a repeater transmitter was added in Sparwood on November 12, 2004, with 23.9 watts on 93.5 MHz.

In 2005, CFRN-TV Edmonton was rebranded as CTV Edmonton, and CKY-TV Winnipeg as CTV Winnipeg.

User avatar
Advanced Member
Posts: 9210
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: radiofan and 1 guest