Broadcast History - July 24

Broadcast History - July 24

Postby jon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 pm

In 1972, CJAT AM & FM Trail (B.C.) was approved by the CRTC for sale to CKEK Cranbrook, ending local ownership that began in 1931 when CJAT first received an experimental license as 10AT, signing on Christmas Day for the first time. Within two years, they had a commercial license, were assigned the CJAT call letters, bought a 100 watt transmitter and broadcast with their licensed 50 watts on 1200 KHz. In the great frequency change of 1941, CJAT moved to 610 KHz with the 1000 watts they had been approved for in 1936. And remained there until their switch to 95.7 MHz on FM on May 30, 1994 with 13,500 watts, after being forced to vacate their AM transmitter site. CJAT-FM had existed from 1968 until the CBC purchased the station in 1975.

Also in 1972, CJAV-AM Port Alberni (B.C.) was approved by the CRTC for sale to M.E. Inwords and W.H. Gibson. CJAV first signed on April 1, 1946, on 1240 KHz with 250 watts. The terrain of the Alberni Valley on Vancouver Island, shielded by the local mountains, left the area with virtually no daytime radio reception. CJAV changed that, also bringing local-like signal coverage into Powell River, 75 km to the North East on the B.C. mainland. In its first year, CJAV hired two future legends of Greater Vancouver radio: Jack Cullen and Joe Chesney. On June 25, 2004, Central Island Broadcasting Ltd. was approved by the CRTC to purchase CJAV. The station switched to FM at 9:33 a.m. on September 2, 2005, on 93.3 MHz with 6000 watts, and is currently owned by Jim Pattison.

Once again, in 1972, CKAY-AM Duncan (B.C.) was approved by the CRTC for sale to Ernie Mykyte. Dick Drew purchased the station in 1979. Vista Broadcast Group Inc. purchased the station in January 2005. The station signed on in October 1964 on 1500 KHz with 1000 watts. Original owners were Dr. John Coleman and a group of Duncan businessmen. By the time it switched to FM in 2000, CKAY-AM was 10,000 watts daytime and 1000 watts at night. On August 1, 2000, CKAY became CJSU-FM on 89.7 MHz with 1862 watts. The 1500 KHz frequency went silent on August 27th. And the call letters were picked up for CKAY-FM Gibsons (B.C.), which signed on May 20, 2006.


And finally, also in 1972, CFOX Montreal (Pointe Claire) switched format to Country, to match new owner Allan Slaight's CFGM Toronto (Richmond Hill). In fact, previous owner Gordon Sinclair Jr. ("Gord") had only received CRTC approval to sell the station to Slaight on July 13th. He would then sell CFOX in 1977 and it became All News CKO, abandoning the CFOX call letters, picked up by CKLG-FM Vancouver on January 6, 1979. The 1470 frequency went forever silent in 1989, and the license was revoked in 1990.

Prior to that, CFOX under Gord's management was one of Canada's best Top 40 stations ever. DJ Charles P. Rodney Chandler broadcast his daily show from John & Yoko's hotel room, and can be heard playing coffee table on "Give Peace a Chance", which was recorded there. Until 2008, Chuck was AM Drive at Cool 8-80 (CHQT Edmonton). And the late Gord Robson, also from CFOX, was Cool 8-80's PM Drive and Music Director; Capital-FM's AM Drive's Rob Christie is also back in Edmonton, but got his start doing all nights at CFOX in 1970. And John Sykes moved from CFOX to CKVN (CFUN) just after they went "All News" in the summer of 1969. Marc Denis has started an excellent CFOX tribute site at The son of Gordon Sinclair, Sr., Gord co-founded CFOX-1470 on March 15, 1960 with 1000 watts. He passed away on July 12, 2002. His CCF bio is at

In 2006, Bell Globemedia (BGM) announced a take-over bid for CHUM, which owned 33 radio stations, 12 TV stations and 21 specialty channels. BGM states that it will sell six A-Channel television stations, but not those in the Toronto area.

User avatar
Advanced Member
Posts: 9235
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests