Please Read and Respond.... Personal unscientific Pole

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Please Read and Respond.... Personal unscientific Pole

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Some ramblings .... We've moved to Chilliwack and are enjoying our new home.
Discovering local radio is interesting... There's CBC one, two, and CBC French services. Local content is from STAR FM and CHWk FM.
From what I have heard the two private stations have local morning drive shows with content reflecting the community...but the music is not to our taste.
The CBC stations are news and talk with a national and regional feel. Granted CBC's news in the morning drive is very good - covering the lower mainland well.
If one doesn't have a "box" from Telus, or Shaw the music offerings are limited over the air.
With the Telus system one can received all the Vancouver , Victoria and Alberta radio stations. If one has Shaw Direct there is radio service from select stations from across Canada. There is also online streaming of any station that is connected to the web.
We have been using XM Galaxie and "boomer Radio" (this last service is online). What I have notice is that
I have become so conditioned to hear 1/3 or more Can-Con that when this misic is not there for a period of time I find I miss it. It is strange but when I tune in CISL on Telus for example, I get my can-Con fix and my music pendulum is balanced again... Is it just me or does any one else feel the same way? I'll pose a question for a response.... (1)Do you miss "Can0Con" when you do not hear it for a while? (2) Is "Can-Con" a Canadian comfort zone that we should move away from?
Last edited by Tape Splicer on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Please Read and Respond.... Personal unscientific Pole

Postby slowhand » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm

It will take me at least a quarter century to miss CanCon. So far, I'm 4 years in. Should I live so long.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:45 pm

slowhand wrote:It will take me at least a quarter century to miss CanCon. So far, I'm 4 years in. Should I live so long.

That was fast... where abouts do you live?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 am

..and in response. Here is a scientific Pole.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby YesterDaze » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 am

Well played, Neumann. Now someone should add a typo to the obviously spellcheck misstep and reveal an unscientific Pool.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:07 pm

YesterDaze wrote:Well played, Neumann. Now someone should add a typo to the obviously spellcheck misstep and reveal an unscientific Pool.

Next we'll be talking about Jean Pools.

Tape Splicer wrote:where abouts do you live?

I don't listen to the radio at home, only in the car. At 25 thousand klicks a year, that adds up to a lot of time.

Four years ago, I got access to satellite radio in my car. I don't really escape CanCon as I still hear the same amount that American listeners heard/hear on the radio of the time period of the music being played.

Traffic reports are all I miss when I find myself driving in rush hour and then I switch to a local AM station wherever I happen to be. I'm gone as soon as I hear the next traffic update.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:23 pm

(1) As a listener I stopped listening to Canadian over-the-air music radio some time ago because of CANCON forced on my ears. As a DJ/host I hate it more because it interferes with the flow & continuity of an otherwise carefully planned & produced show. For this reason, I will never host a show again on Canadian OTA radio. I much prefer the freedom that goes with hosting shows for Internet-only webcast stations & will continue my post-retirement "hobby" for online broadcasters only. As the PD/assistant PD/MD of various Canadian community stations, I thoroughly detest CANCON because of the difficulty keeping volunteer programmers in line regarding quotas. This assumes of course, that the CRTC will keep it's grubby hands away from regulating the Internet, particularly webcasters & video services such as Netflix & Youtube.

(2) CANCON regs have long outlived their usefulness & remain on the books because we have a heavy-handed government dedicated to imposing more authority & rules upon our lives. CANCON has become merely a punitive tool the CRTC can use against broadcasters. In the early 70's when CANCON was introduced, it was much needed to kick-start a dormant music industry. Today, it's hardly relevant in a music landscape where good Canadian artists can chart world-wide with other artists. If the CRTC REALLY wants to nurture Canadian music, they should instead impose a quota of airplay for "new &/or emerging artists" - say perhaps 20%. Exemptions should be granted to classic/oldies/gold-based formatted stations so we don't have to hear the "Beaver Patrol" to hinder what should be exciting formats to listen to. Nothing ruins a Canadian gold station more.

Tape Splicer...you're more than welcome to whatever share of CANCON I'm supposed to be listening to... :walk:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Radio? Is that something new?

Oh okay - there are so many choices for programming in the home and in the car - radio as I knew it doesn't exist anymore (CKLG, CJOR, CFUN, Nw)

Thanks to CBC I have something to listen to in the car.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:
Thanks to CBC I have something to listen to in the car.

I'll bet you do a lot of driving in the afternoon just so you can listen to Radio West!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Marathon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 am

No, I can't say the I ever miss CanCon. In fact when I listen to US Stations I am always thinking Why is it so much better? and then I remember CanCon and it all makes sense.
Marathon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Well.... That was interesting this personal unscientific POLL scored 100% against CanCon. I guess the reason I don`t have as big a problem with CanCon is that CJVB as an ``ethnic`` broadcaster was permitted to air 7% as apposed to 30%+ which every other station aired.

SVR had the right of it as far as intercepting the flow of a program. The ethnic producers also `hated`CanCon with a passion because of this.

Thanks for jumping in on the question.... We`re off to have some good deep fried turkey thanksgiving ... yummmmm.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:14 pm

TS - it wasn't just the ethnic producers who grumbled about the interruptions & irrelevance of CANCON on a multi-cultural radio station. As one of the DJ's during CJVB's "Cosmopolitan Sound" era, I recall that Hagood Hardy & all that other CTL Music Library fluff stuck out pretty badly within the international music blend (now called 'world-beat') that JVB & Rudy worked so hard to perfect. I always winced when one of these came up on those big 12" reels we used on air.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:00 pm

SVR... You are correct about the way CanCon stood out... Nick Sands, Monty and Pat Karl did most of the english language cosmo shifts when I was there and when they were on the content was 30%+/- .... Rudy's 12 inch reof music didn't have CanCon on them The CanCon was all carted....and yes it did stand out like a sore thumb... with artists liked; Peter Appleyard, John Arpin, the Boss Brass the Laurie Bower Singers, the clarinetist Henry Cuesta, Vic Franklyn, the Hart House Orchestra, , the trombonist Ted Roderman, the Spitfire Band, William Stevens,and several orchestras and choirs under the direction of Johnny Burte.... The CTL library was very hard to fit into an Italian, Dutch German or Filipino show for example. Mr. VB assigned me to do a Canadiana show every Sunday prior to sign off this half hour would hopefully bring up the weeks CanCon to the required Quota. I was able to troll the library for what sounded the most palitable to my ears.-. and hopefully the listeners liked the music as well.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:27 pm

I still maintain Cancrap is what helped kill off successful radio as we knew it.
The repetition of the same old shit over and over and over again caused listeners to tune out, to seek out alternative sources of music, first, their own record collections, then cassettes and 8 tracks, followed by cds and then with the growth of the internet, music on line.
Trying to legislate culture is something the Nazis did.
If something is good, people will buy into it.
If it's crap, it will be ignored.
If crap is forced on people, they simply will ignore the source and make their own selections.
Back to point one.
Cancrap was designed to promote new and emerging artists.
Oldies stations don't play any new stuff, ergo, they should not be forced to play Cancrap.
30 to 40 per cent of your playlist has to be Cancrap?
Say goodbye to a good portion of your prospective listenership.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:55 pm

I cast a vote for cancon, and it should be continued in Canadian broadcast stations... not the internet. The CBC website does great things wth cancon music.

Did not know about a rule of ethnic programs having to be 30% cancon... when did this rule come into play, as it seems rather absurd when the content is expected to be ethnic (non english/french).
PMC

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post