Please Read and Respond.... Personal unscientific Pole

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Re: Please Read and Respond.... Personal unscientific Pole

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 pm

PMC; I should have made myself clearer.... (This is how it was explained to me by one of the staffers at the time.... it might have been Mr VB) ...the 30% ratio for CanCon in ethnic stations was just for that portion of the programing day that was not ethnic. Nick Sands afternoon drive show played `cosmopolitan` music .... music from every country that was represented on our schedule.... because his show was totally in english the rule applied. The same with Monty, his morning drive show had the 30% rule for the same reason. Monty played Big Band with the cosmopolitan.... I am not sure how Rudy Hartman managed with his classical music show, Music For The Millions.... all other programs had the 7% CanCon rule apply as these shows were ethnic.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 pm

When I did the CanCon fill show "Canadiana" - Sunday 11:30 to Midnight, I used "Swingin' Shepherd Blues' as the intro ... A good Moe Koffman "Canadian" tune .... but I used a Dutch version of the tune as I liked the sound.... so there was 30 seconds of a Dutch Swingin' Shepherd Blues plus the six to eight CanCon tunes and then the 30 to 60 seconds of the Dutch swingin' Shepherd Blues as extro music... So I guess I cheated a bit on the CanCon..... oh well.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:56 am

TS - good explanation of the CANCON complexities at CJVB. As you've illustrated, CANCON is a compliance nightmare at ethnic/multi-cultural & campus/community stations. As a weeknight board op/show producer & weekend on-air DJ, I got the dreaded 'Beav Patrol' hour Sundays 11 to midnight after the religious shows. It's real purpose was to fatten up the CANCON so Rudy could host a classical show & Mr JVB Dutch easy-listening/gospel tunes & remain compliant. However, in the early 70's there were 12" reels with nothing but CANCON. It was all pretty much the CTL crapola found in the LP library. With 3 reel decks in use on-air, I always kept the CANCON reel cued & ready to go. I too got creative & culled from my own music collection & even did some borrowing from a few family members. One family member had some Maritimes/Newfoundland "old-timey" folk & traditional LPs. Not my personal thing, but this fit in better with the "Cosmopolitan Sound" music & audience. I brought in Gordon Lightfoot, & played ballads by Neil Young, Ronnie Hawkins, Joni Mitchell; jazz by Moe Koffman, Jeremy Steig, cheated a bit with Buffalo Springfield & Blood, Sweat & Tears. Ever the badass, I truly pushed the envelope by playing The Band's tale of Acadian migration from the Maritimes to Louisiana "Acadian Driftwood" & Richard Manual's beautiful ballad "It Makes No Difference" plus Motown 3-hit wonders Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers. For an intro theme song I used an instrumental from Neil Young's 1st solo album: a gently lilting, country-flavoured tune "Emperor of Wyoming" (with a lush string section expertly produced by Jack Nitzche). It took some effort to keep this hour from being simply "filler" which it ultimately was!

Mike Cleaver has it right 100%. I'll reiterate again that I see CANCON as merely a licensing & punishment tool within our country's overbloated broadcasting laws & regulations, overseen by the self-preservation motives of the CRTC dictators. Get rid of CANCON. Get rid of forced contributions to the music industry by Canadian broadcasters & level the playing field to succeed in spite of poor economic factors. The CBC should be 100% CANCON all the time...they are our national taxpayer-supported broadcaster & should be given this mandate on all of their services - on-air & online
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm

If Pierre Juneau (founding CRTC Chair and BBG briefly before) had had his way, CanCon would have been 100% Day One in 1971.

As for the CBC's AM stations, they were self-regulated as 40% CanCon when I was in Prince Rupert in 1972, while private radio on AM was 30%. Not sure about the CBC's FM network, as the CRTC did not require any CanCon on FM until the mid-1970s. At some point in time, the CBC moved to 50% CanCon.

I have previously argued that Canadian musicians were doing very well, thank you very much, just before CanCon became Law. I'm no longer as sure as I was when I think in terms of the Canadian Recording Industry as a whole. A lot of the Top 40 and AOR CanCon that was successful circa 1970 was recorded in the U.S., which certainly doesn't sound like a healthy recording industry to me here in Canada at the time.

While I'm not sure what the truth is about how well CanCon helped the Canadian Recording Industry become "healthy", I do know that it has certainly made music radio in this country hard for me to listen to for any length of time. CKUA is the exception, thanks to their block programming and low CanCon requirement, i.e. - some programs have no CanCon at all.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Do radio stations have music directors/managers any more or is it all bought in mp3/mp4 packages made in the usa. Are there Canadian companies selling music libraries to stations ?

The cancon policy is being abused... american artists move here to get popular by air play. Poorly defined music libraries cause over play of cancon.

Sky, perhaps there is a business there for you...

The CRTC is outdated, I do agree with that. Their mandate should be on communications, rather than regulated legal content, or funding the music/video industry.

Times have changed, Canadian artists can have their own website, with all the details of their careers, sample music/video for download, and booking info. Sites from LinkedIn, Facebook, youtube, alibaba, can have them do it all on the cheap, if they lack resources.
PMC

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:38 pm

So SVR it was you and I who kept the place honest..... I do know that Mr VB played CanCon in his religious program... at least it was shown on his play list so I added the ticks to the log accordingly. I don't know about Rudy's show. T
he hard part was making the language producers understand that if they had a play list that ran 1 to 14 titles, one of those tunes must be CanCon - and if there were 15 to 28, tunes two must be CanCon.
I had a producer call the music "Canadian contest" and they asked when the winner would be announced....
We had a Krishna group buy time when I was there... I did the technical production and suggested they have someone sing at their temple and have the music recorded there... I used those selections as CanCon. I guess their chants could be considered prayers... don't know if a sung prayer counts as CanCon or not. But sometimes one had to be creative.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 pm

I may be accused of scratching my finger nails down the blackboard by highlighting these artists... but I thought I'd include samples of artists that were on the CJVB play list. These artists and others were on the "carted" rotation in master control and all the foreign language producers and on air staff played at least one of these artists during their programs..... Here we go.

Peter Appleyard;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2ZlkLnSUc
Rob McConnell and The Boss Brass;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZtUZ3HqosA
Laurie Bower Singers;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2__zbfQh3k
Guido Basso;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wqQwOTHG00
Tedddy Roderman;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmHZ7pcUBlg
Hagood Hardy;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXeHIfMBZtQ
...And below is the only artist in the bunch I can honestly say I enjoyed playing.....
The Spitfire Band;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88xDMfKuxk
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:53 am

Tape Splicer wrote:SVR... You are correct about the way CanCon stood out... Nick Sands, Monty and Pat Karl did most of the english language cosmo shifts when I was there and when they were on the content was 30%+/- .... Rudy's 12 inch reof music didn't have CanCon on them The CanCon was all carted.

Not true: the cosmo music tapes assembled by Rudy, Bill DeCarteret, and myself did have the required CanCon built in. It was interesting to note that meeting the 5% composition requirement was usually way exceeded... it was the basic 30% which was problematic. In much of the 80's and early 90's before the stn went totally ethnic with the change in CRTC rules, carted newer selections to augment the basic tapes sat in the back-wall racks plus the large carousel. Some newer CanCon was mixed in with those, but it was the ops' responsibilities to make sure the required target was met, with a check-mark system using the small column to the right of the 'time off' entry on the programme logs. There was one occurrence in the very late 80's IIRC where the CRTC did some sort of check or audit, and one major op was found to be fudging content... so much so that overall CanCon was short, and the stn was forced to go back through logger tapes for a considerable number of days (not a fun exercise) to provide a detailed breakdown of all music content. It helped (from memory) that we'd just gone through a CAPAC or BMI survey period and had some paper records on hand.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:52 pm

xwdcatvb; I'll humbly stand corrected... It's funny how memory plays tricks on one... I know I've looked at the play lists for those tape reels many times and YOU ARE CORRECT. now that I think of it there was Can-Con on the reels marked with a "C" at the left of the title (I think)... The "C" and "F' tick marks on the log and the producers play list had better match ...
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to The Bitchin' Post