Vancouver's Kerry Chater (Union Gap) Birthday

Vancouver's Kerry Chater (Union Gap) Birthday

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm

FROM "THE WRECKING CREW" Facebook:

The Wrecking Crew

Happy birthday to musician, and songwriter Kerry Chater who was born on this date August 7, 1945 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

A bass player, in the mid-60s he joined a band called The Progressives with Doug Ingle (keyboards), Gary 'Mutha' Whitem (sax) and Danny Weis (guitar).

By 1966, Ingle, and Weis went off to form Iron Butterfly
and Chater and Whitem joined The Outcasts with their friend Gary Puckett and others; this eventually became The Union Gap, which was signed by Columbia Records in 1967.

Over the next two years the band had 4 songs in the top 10. Chater did much of the arranging for the live shows, wrote or co-wrote some of the album cuts and b-sides, and on rare occasions did a shared lead vocal. Chater and Gary "Mutha" Withem, the original keyboardist, left the band in 1970 as its popularity was declining.

With veteran songwriter Charlie Black, Chater wrote "I Know a Heartache When I See One", which reached number 19 on the US and number 10 on the US country charts in 1979 for Jennifer Warnes. Chater has also written hits with Glen Ballard and Rory Bourke ("You Look So Good in Love"), singer Renee Armand ("What She Wants"), and his wife, Lynn Gillespie Chater ("I Meant to Do That", with Paul Brandt).

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics