The Calgary Herald Can't Handle Free Speech

What's happening in the world of Newspapers and Magazines?

The Calgary Herald Can't Handle Free Speech

Postby XFM » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:03 pm

I've been a home subscriber for 20 years. I follow them on Twitter and FB too. Well, last week, I made a couple of comments on Twitter about content (lack) of content in one of their online stories. Apparently, they aren't too receptive of criticism, they blocked me on Twitter.

I've had emails from the columnist who wants to dialouge (sic) with me regarding this. She is "insistant" (sic) we speak in person about decision. It's a sad day when even their reporters can't spell.

My subscription is cancelled.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Re: The Calgary Herald Can't Handle Free Speech

Postby jon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 pm

I've seen some pretty strong criticisms of Edmonton Journal columnists in the comments at the end of columns on edmontonjournal.com. And the comments have survived, even when I checked back later. Anything short of questioning the columnist's parentage and the usual ban on "swear words". And, of course, ethnic or other slurs against columnists who appear to be members of a minority.

Me thinks the e-mails from the writers you've received resulted from their bosses questioning their blocking of you on Twitter. Especially if these writers are fresh out of school, as I'm seeing at the Edmonton Journal a lot, too. Some really dumb mistakes in the on-line story which, often as not, is NOT corrected in the print article.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The Calgary Herald Can't Handle Free Speech

Postby XFM » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 pm

The Herald has had its share of gaffes lately.

One of my favourites "Horrific Accident Victim Dies". Way to talk about a guy when he's dead.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Return to The Print Media