Name That Stiff

Stuff that doesn't fit into any other area of the site ..

Name That Stiff

Postby jon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Click here to hear (0:10, 159KB) a single that was released, yes, but never charted. Despite a boatload of household names behind it.

I welcome guesses as to:
  • year the 45 was originally released
  • title of song
  • group singing
  • music conductor
  • music writer
  • lyrics writer
  • some of the other household names involved
My wife and I both heard this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and instantly hated it. But it does grow on you, somewhat, with repeated hearings. Still, it deserved to stiff.

I'm also quite interested to find out if anyone actually has this little beauty in their collection of 45s.

This isn't that hard, as both my wife and I correctly guessed the group singing as it began playing.

Sorry it is so short and badly edited, but it took me a long time to try and Google-proof it. I wasn't able to include any of the spoken voice that makes it so interesting, because combining anything spoken and sung made it instantly found with Google.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Name That Stiff

Postby FORMER-BOSSJOCK » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 pm

It's from one of my favorite Peter Sellers movies...After the Fox ( '66 )...The song was written by Burt Bacharach & Hal David and sung by The Hollies. Sellers spoke in the song as well. Victorio Di Sica directed the movie , which featured the likes of Victor Mature , Martin Balsam & Britt Ekland . But Sellers, as always, steals the show. :lol:
FORMER-BOSSJOCK

Re: Name That Stiff

Postby jon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Congratulations! Absolutely correct.

The opening credits of the movie where the song is played in its entirety, can be viewed and heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJipACkwBw

TCM aired it a few weeks ago.

More trivia: co-star Britt Ekland was Mrs. Peter Sellers at the time the movie was produced. He married her after a fortune teller told him that someone with B.E. as initials would have a huge part in his life. That was, of course, a reference to Blake Edwards, who directed the Pink Panther movies that made Peter Sellers a household name to those who had not heard him on the BBC Goon Shows. But he interpreted it to mean Britt Ekland.

Burt Bacharach also conducted the music, as well as writing it.

Do any of our record collectors actually have this 45?
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station Reunions and Miscellaneous Goings On