Radio news from the USA

Leykis Pink Slipped

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 am

Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Tom Leykis among KLSX hosts going off air
The station will switch to a Top 40 music format called 'AMP RADIO.'

By GARY LYCAN
Special to the Register

Talk KLSX/97.1 FM will flip to a new Top 40 format called "AMP RADIO" at 5 p.m. Friday, CBS announced Wednesday.

Current talk show hosts Adam Carolla, the team of Frosty, Heidi & Frank, and Tom Leykis will do their final shows live Friday, with Leykis tossing the switch at 5 p.m. to "AMP RADIO," which will begin with 10,000 songs in a row with limited commercial interruption "or about 28 days of just full-on music," according to Dan Weiner, senior vice president and market manager for CBS radio in Los Angeles.

The format, described as playing "all the hits," will also be online at http://www.ampradio.com. Artists will include Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Rihanna, T.I., Kanye West, Usher, Britney, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, and Katy Perry, among others.

Running "AMP RADIO" will be Kevin Weatherly, who also programs KROQ-FM and JACK-FM.

"Complementing the station will be an array of events and concerts, an extensive online destination with blogs, music videos, widgets, photo galleries, celebrity gossip reports, in-depth artist pages, an embeddable and multifunctional streaming player, and a platform to create artist-centric radio stations," the CBS announcement said.

While CBS' JACK and KROQ stations target male listeners, "AMP RADIO" will target women 18-49. Competitors would be KIIS-FM, KOST-FM and KBIG-FM (104.3MYfm).

While Carolla, Leykis, Heidi-Frosty-Frank are leaving CBS, there was no immediate word on their future plans. A CBS spokeswoman declined to comment on contracts other than to say "they are all different."

No word yet on who will be part of the new lineup after the first 28 days. The format has been in test mode on JACK-FM's HD2 channel. Current KLSX Programming Director Jack Silver is leaving CBS, a company spokeswoman said.

Orange County Register
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Leykis Pink Slipped

Postby cart_machine » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:41 am

radiofan wrote: "AMP RADIO," which will begin with 10,000 songs in a row

And 9,500 of them will be the same.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Oh no!!!

Beyonce and Timberlake....will drive people insane....

AMP, schmamp...

Here in Hawaii - KROCK is all 70's and drives me to distraction....I love Pink Floyd....but sheesh...

cArtie....we gotta get ya in there....
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 pm

segueking2 wrote:Oh no!!!

Beyonce and Timberlake....will drive people insane....

AMP, schmamp...

Here in Hawaii - KROCK is all 70's and drives me to distraction....I love Pink Floyd....but sheesh...

cArtie....we gotta get ya in there....

Don't give us any of that Sheesh stuff, you're in Hawaii for God's sake!! There is no room for AMP Schmamp, and sheesh when you're in Hawaii, and we're in God's frozen waste land!! :wink:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News