#1 KGO Dethroned

Radio news from the USA

#1 KGO Dethroned

Postby jon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

This is a little far South to be of general interest, but I know how many people have listened to KGO over the years. And fans of Top 40 Radio would certainly know KFRC (mentioned further down).

Thanks to Craig Adams for posting this on the Portland Radio Board, from an R&R News Release.

-----------------KOIT Beats KGO In S.F. Holiday PPM-----------------

By Julie Gidlow

After a 30-year reign, Citadel news/talk KGO/San Francisco has been surpassed as the No. 1 station in the market by Entercom AC KOIT in the Holiday 2008 PPM results released by Arbitron on Wednesday (Jan. 28). KOIT, which went all-Christmas from Nov. 21-Dec. 25, 2008, rose from a 6.1 in December 2008 to an 8.3 6+, while KGO slipped 6.1-5.4. The Holiday 2008 period covers Dec. 11, 2008 through Jan. 7, 2009.

"Of course, there's a reason it's called the holiday book," says KGO GM Mickey Luckoff, referring to the fact that Arbitron created this 13th book in PPM to handle the spike in ratings AC stations playing holiday music get each year. "Give credit to Arbitron for realizing it's an aberration and doing a holiday book."

KOIT PD Bill Conway tells R&R, "I haven't seen any champagne corks flying around, but it's certainly a happy day! Even my ratings books don't go back far enough to see what the last station to beat KGO was." (R&R ratings guru Hurricane Heeran says it was KFRC during its top 40 heyday.)

Additional reporting by Keith Berman and Mike Stern
jon
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News