KSQM Sequim now on the air

Radio news from the USA

KSQM Sequim now on the air

Postby jon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 am

Relatives in the area tell me that KSQM-FM in Sequim, Washington, is now on the air. 91.5 MHz with 700 watts, according to Wikipedia.

The following is from the web site at http://scbradio.com

"The goal of Sequim Community Broadcasting (SCB) / KSQM is to establish a community non-commercial educational FM radio station that serves the people of Sequim and the Dungeness Valley.

"KSQM will broadcast music of the ’40s, ’50s, ’60s, and beyond and produce local programming that is relevant to the population of our area, to include local news and weather as well as community and school events.

"Our station will be staffed by volunteers...."

Elsewhere on the site, it appears that they really wanted an AM station, but the FCC flatly refused to even consider them, so they spent the last 3 years working on an FM license.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:02 pm

More from the area newspapers, again thanks to my relatives:

Sequim`s non-commercial FM radio station is on the air with a sweeping definition of "oldies" music, community-event announcements and volunteer disc jockeys. The frequency is 91.5 FM. KSQM`s co-founder is Rick Perry. One of the volunteers is John Massey, he worked at a station in Palm Beach Fla., KHAR in Anchorage Alaska in the 60`s, KIT in Yakima Wa., & KBRD in Tacoma in the 70`s.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I can hear it in stereo here in spite of the splatter from 91.3 "The Zone" CKZN. However, its only receivable with the ultra-sharp 150 kHz IF filter - I can't even tell its there with the narrow 180 kHz filter or the 220 kHz wide filters. I'm surprised they can use 91.5 wit CKZN so close. I would have thought 91.7 a better choice in spite of all the regional signals on that frequency. They were playing Xmas music earlier...right now it's an old Louis Jordan tune from the early 50's!
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Return to US Radio News