KBSG 97.3 to become KIRO-FM

Radio news from the USA

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:34 am

YesterDaze wrote:
I hope someone can be objective in explaining to me how a station with NW's super resources & manpower at that time, failed to get a substantial toehold going head-to-head with News 1130.

Take a couple of empty suits with no game plan, no experience and no budget; staff the place with a ragtag bunch of green interns, pay everyone peanuts and, oh yeah, don't promote the thing.

Resources don't count for much when you have monkeys driving the bus.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:30 am

YesterDaze wrote:Why was that?

I hope someone can be objective in explaining to me how a station with NW's super resources & manpower at that time, failed to get a substantial toehold going head-to-head with News 1130.

I don't need to hear again the party line from the Rogers fraternity, someone who was on the Corus side might be more objective.

Did the plug get pulled too soon? Couldn't CJNW be allowed to spill any more red ink?

From day one there was no reason for NW2 to exist. News 1130 had been on the air for 5 years. There was nothing different about NW2, except for the fact it was powered by CKNW. They blatantly copied the News 1130 clock, ran the same features at the same time. It may have had the resources of NW and the manpower, but there was no need for a second all news station in Vancouver (or just about any other North American city).

The station could have been a success if they had followed J. Paul's urgings to go all sports. Had they done that, they would have hity the air 3 monther before CHUM's TEAM Network hit the air.

Oh ya, the same dolts that built NW2 retooled the station a few years later and made it all sports . .this time, no need for a second all sports station.

In the 7 1/2 years the former CKLG has resided at the Black Tower, there have been at least 4 unsuccessful formats, who knows how many people's lives disrupted and how many millions of dollars pissed away.

I doubt AM 730 is high on Doug Rutherford's list of successes.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:36 pm

97.3 is now officially "KIRO-FM Tacoma-Seattle" but is still running automated oldies.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to US Radio News