Some DX Catches Through The Apartment QRM

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Re: Some DX Catches Through The Apartment QRM

Postby Toomas Losin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 pm

My comments on G8 problems.

- The lockup does not seem predictable. I've never noticed any action that causes it to lock up. When locked up it's always reset immediately on battery removal, I've never had to wait.

- The sticky coating problem may be humidity related. My G8 doesn't have a stickyness problem (humidity always around 50%), although it may be getting close to feeling "sticky". Perhaps the coating is on its way to having the problem.

- There are internal noises on some frequencies.

- Tuning and volume knobs can miss steps or jump steps. Volume can get louder when it's actually being turned down; similarly, tuning can go lower in frequency when being turned higher. I have no idea if the rotary encoders are faulty, dirty, or if the firmware is buggy. It didn't do this when the unit was new.

- I don't remember if the G8 sometimes misses button presses. The Tecsun PL-390 does.

Eldon, regarding clocks: I actually want two (local and UTC (non-simultaneous is fine)) for logging, and I want the time display to have seconds! As it is now I use my tablet for logging, so I use its clock. I guess different folks have different needs. :-)
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 am

Happy World Radio Day to all the DXers @ Radiowest

http://www.diamundialradio.org/?q=en

:groovy:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Anyone tried this to solve Eldon's sticky radio problem?
http://googone.com

We used it at my last place of employment before I retired. To remove the residual glue from labels on tape cartridges. It really did the job, though I seem to recall that it had to be done in an area with good air circulation because of the fumes.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 am

Today's catches are all from Oregon .. Using the G8 I heard three weak but clear signals in half an hour (from 21:50 to 22:20).
As I'm located in the eastern Fraser valley I try to catch signals on frequencies adjacent to Vancouver's 50Ks.
1150KHz KAGO Klamath Falls Or, commercials, ID, Newscast.
1120KHz KPNW Eugene OR, Talk show, commercials, ID.
1110KHz KBND Bend OR commercials, ID, station promos.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:33 pm

Over the last few nights I've been trying to track down the station call letters for a station on 1250Khz. The station rebroadcasts the BBC world service and other programs of a "Public Broadcasting' nature ... The only ID I've heard is "Interdependent Public Media". Looking online I find a website and look for stations that carry their programming. I find only California FMs under the heading "Southern California Public Media" ... Any stations I see on AM DX.com are very low power stations I think the highest Calf AM on that frequency is 2.5K ... any thoughts
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 am

TS ... It's most likely KWSU from the university in Pullman, WA. From the sked (link below) it looks like BBC all night.

http://nwpr.org/schedule/nwpr-news
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks Jon; I totally missed the Washington station on 1250Khz. There was a Seattle station on that frequency KKDZ "Radio Disney" until very recently.
When I was looking at the "Interdependent Public Media" I could not see any stations that would reach this area...All the California stations were FMs. There was no indication of stations in Washington State that I could find.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:Thanks Jon;

Jon??? :tonguewaving:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:20 pm

TS - the 1250 you heard with BBC was definitely KWSU Pullman. Radio Disney KKDZ 1250 Seattle IS broadcasting at night with temp. authority to use it's daytime 1250 site in West Seattle, albeit with all 4 towers in a tight array with 5 kW. Low noise level & decent loop antenna will sometimes pull in CKOM Saskatoon when conditions are favourable to SK
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:52 pm

radiofan I had a senior moment and missread the logo at the right of the page.... Thanks. skyvalleyradio, that Sask station would be quite a catch.

I am finding that from my "listening post" in the eastern valley there are often more then one station on a given frequency and it just takes time to identify which station is which.
I have found one sweet spot in the apartment where the QRM is some what diminished... So it's the rocking chair near the balcony door or when its warmer out on the balcony .... happy DXing all.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:54 pm

TapeSplicer seems in need of a list of current AM stations. Before I recommend he buy the NRC AM Radio Log, I wondered if anyone has suggestions for on-line sites. amlogbook dot com is long gone, and that is what I used to use before I shelled out the bucks for the NRC log and map books.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:00 pm

The best & most updated database for AM stations in Canada & US only is maintained by an AM Dxer (& ham), the update contributions come from DXers themselves. This is always minimized & ready for reference:

http://www.topazdesigns.com/ambc/

when I need current international database access for a non-US/Canada station, I find the best & most accurate site:

http://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_ ... ea=3&kHz=0

this site also has a linked pop-up that shows EXACT "offsets" of transmitting frequency for those of using SSB to DX. A third site I use has some outdated information but has coverage pattern maps for many US/Canada/Mexico AMs which is another vital component sifting through the signals:

http://www.am-dx.com/fcclist.htm

TS - I can't emphasize enough the use of a cheap "loop" antenna - this MAY sometimes allow you to sort out multi-signal reception on a given frequency. A loop can sometimes help "null out" (DIMINISH the signal) of one signal in order to better hear another another signal 'buried in the noise' by peaking reception of the 2nd signal to hear it better. You've found a "sweet spot" in your apartment which has a minimum of noise. It is perhaps that location that a loop may be most effective. I have had to experiment to find the best location for my looop when DXing as i often have multiple radios on simultaneously. Have fun! After a quick tune-around, conditions so far this evening sound pretty promising. GooDX :wave:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:radiofan I had a senior moment and missread the logo at the right of the page.... Thanks. skyvalleyradio, that Sask station would be quite a catch.

CKOM 1250 would be a hell of a catch in 2015. In 1985 or 86 they moved down the dial to 650. Out in the Valley they shouldn't be a problem over or under CISL almost any night of the week, that is unless Sacramento is dominating/
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm

radiofan - you're right...my senior moment :oops: CKOM 650 can be heard here on occasion phasing out CISL
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Sunday's Jingle Of The Day viewtopic.php?f=53&t=20534 could be a great opportunity for TapeSplicer to hear CKOM 1250!
radiofan
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to As The Dial Turns