Lethbridge Mystery

Post info or questions on stations you have heard or are trying to hear ... the world of DX!

Lethbridge Mystery

Postby BigListener » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:28 am

There's a new and unknown spot on the Lethbridge FM dial. For the past couple weeks there has been poorly modulated South Asian music continuously on 90.5 FM. Might be a pirate; nothing on CRTC about it. It is in stereo, and occasionally will show up on RDS as "RDS". Seems to be a better signal on the west side but does come in across town. Does not identify at the top or bottom of the hour but, if you're patient, some sort of very difficult to hear announcement comes on at random in a South Asian language only the only part of it being in English is "90.5 FM". I'm curious as to who/where, equipment etc.
BigListener

Re: Lethbridge Mystery

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 pm

There is currently an application in front of ISEDC for a 50 watt station on 90.5 in Lethbridge submitted by Vikas Sharma of Devotional Broadcasting Incorporated of Calgary. The latest database released on October 14th still shows that the application is "under consideration". They have reserved the CKSK call letters for the new station.

Low power stations such as this are generally not dealt with by the CRTC anymore and are instead redirected to ISEDC who usually just "rubber stamp" approval.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: Lethbridge Mystery

Postby BigListener » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks for the great info. I didn't know you could get around the CRtC these days, but I'm not surprised. Interesting that they're 'under consideration' when they've been on air since well before the 14th. It'll be interesting to see what their final product will sound like, and whom their target audience will be. There isn't much out there about this outfit, which seems to have been incorporated only very recently operating out of a house in Calgary in Martindale, a couple of blocks from where I used to live.
The signal is pretty anemic and is best heard in the car; even my most selective radios have a problem with it because I live where some of the local stations are pretty hot. I hope they figure out the modulation because you have to crank the volume to hear it. I took a look at the info on ISDEC; the geographic coordinates suggest it is at a house in Tudor Estates. Next time I'm over there I'll have to take a mosey and see if I can find the antenna.
Thanks again.
BigListener

Return to As The Dial Turns