Daytime only AM stations and KRPA Oak Harbor south Asianr

Includes archive of Bill Virgin's columns fromJ une 2006 - March 2009

Daytime only AM stations and KRPA Oak Harbor south Asianr

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to update on KRPA 1110 Oak harbor. Yes they are South Asian and I tried to hear their sign-off on Saturday night to see if it was in English but they were gone by 7 PM. In the morning lately they are not on-air at 6:30 so must sign on about 7 AM. They are a daytime only station with 500 watts and only are on-air during the day, sunrise to sunset no evening or night programming at all!!!! KOMO is a 50,000 watt fulltime station and even on good radios like my Grundig G8 or G5 or the TRF 655 they are much stronger than KRPA 1110. With an average radio you can usually get KOMO 1000 but KRPA is marginal on poorer radios with less sensitivity and selectivity. KRPA was bought by Satnam Media in Nov. 2011 from Impact Directories of Mt. Vernon. However the sale was from the Washington Secretary of State and the Puget Sound Radio article about this leads you to believe that KWDB/KRPA was in bankruptcy or on the verge of it with Impact Directories. This company published business directories and was a small company with one main owner and had owned 1110 AM since about 2008, not very long. So Satnam Media got the station for the firesale price of only 35,000 dollars.

I haven't heard much talking just a lot of South Asian music. My guess is if the station is not sold again or the FCC denies a future move or power increase this station will go dark and possibley deleted by the FCC. There are about 1000 daytime onlty radio stations across the USA, some of them quite successfull, Washington State has about 5 on AM.. B.C. has only had one station CFAX 810 back in the early 60s that is now fulltime on 1070. Thats the only daytimer ever in B.C.. in Victoria. Well better post this. Anyone check out the Oak Harbor paper for info. about KRPA etc..?????
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Re: Daytime only AM stations and KRPA Oak Harbor south Asian

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original CKLG on 1070 from North Vancouver also a daytimer?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original CKLG on 1070 from North Vancouver also a daytimer?

Not that I can tell, Dan. The radio listings for Sunday, July 3, 1955 show sign-off at 12:05 a.m.

It appears 'LG had a German show on Sundays. I'm sure someone will object to the concept.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:15 am

I did a bit of digging around and found out via the Canadian Communications Foundation site that CKLG was authorized to operate fulltime, but because of severe interference from KNX 1070 in Los Angeles at nights the station did initially operate as a daytimer in early 1955 until those issues were resolved a few months later. Guess that's what I was thinking about.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Return to Seattle / Washington State Radio News