CFUN IBTWYPD Bikini

Jingles and IDs from Radio Stations in Western Canada and Washington State

CFUN IBTWYPD Bikini

Postby radiofan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:41 am

From 48 summers ago .. some beach fun from CFUN and a remake of a Brian Hyland hit ...

CFUN IBTWYPD Bikini
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CFUN IBTWYPD Bikini

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Ya know, I've listened to this a couple of times.... and I'm a big fan of creative jingles.... maybe its because its Friday and its hot.... but it sounds really lame. I'm sorry.... it just does. :drunken:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

CFUN IBTWYPD Bikini

Postby jon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Maybe they just dragged it out of the vault for another summer re-run, but I remember this being fresh to me in the summer of 1962 (or maybe it was 1963). And thinking the same thing that Russ did: "How lame", or words that would have been current at that time to this 9-10 year old.

Part of the problem, of course, was that the song was 2-3 years old then.

A half century later, it sounds really lame more for the way it is put together. Original song lyrics for nearly the entire song, then generic "any station" lyrics, then the CFUN sing at the very end. Either fresh sung, or produced to sound like it was all sung together, yet nothing until the very end.

Not to mention that it doesn't make any sense. Today we have shower radios, but back then, there weren't even any wearable radios.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 pm

From the early 1960's, I recorded songs played on CFUN on a reel to reel tape recorder. Little did I know then, that the part I was trying "not to record" (the DJ's) would be the best part half a century later. I had recorded part of the IBTWYPDB jingle which was played after the Brian Hyland hit and had always wanted the full version. Thanks RF for posting it. :cheers:
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:44 am

I actually remember them playing this jingle when the song was a hit back in 1960. Not bad considering I was not quite 12 years old then. We were returning in someone's car from one of the city's beaches on a hot summer afternoon. First they played the song, then the jingle right after and I first thought 'They're playing the song again?" until I realized . . .

Anyway, Firedog, if you still have the original partial recording of the jingle can you tell me if it matches the pitch of the original song. I corrected the pitch on Radiofan's version to match the original song (raising the pitch by a semi-tone) and I can send a copy to you Radiofan, if you wish.

And one other question, is Hyland actually singing the jingle, or is it a sound-alike artist? I know some of these hits of the day jingles are not by the original artists but some are so close it's hard to tell.
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Return to Jingle(s) / ID of the day